German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! - It's been quite some time since I've posted here but this forum has always been a wealth of information.

My ~8-9 yr old Chow mix recently had surgery to remove a number of bladder stones - these were discovered once she came down with her third UTI in the span of a year. The stones were sent for analysis and came back confirmed struvite. She is on 30 days of antibiotic and anti-inflammatory, and the vet would like to put her on canned Royal Canin SO for 6 weeks to dissolve any remaining crystals.

Our problem is that we are living on my income alone at the moment and the pocket book is swiftly shrinking. This whole episode has cost us a significant amount already, and the price for the SO cans is very high - twice what we were paying for Fromm's (her normal food). And it sounds like we may want to look into altering her diet long-term anyway, in which case I do -not- want to feed SO on a maintenance basis.

So, we're looking to see if there might be alternatives to this. At this point it would be cheaper for us to home-cook her meals if there are good recipes for out there tailored to UTI/stone prone dogs... my instinct is to think that surely Royal Canin doesn't have the market on low-ash, acidic PH promoting formulas.

I suppose this boils down to two questions really:

- is SO for 6 weeks then back to normal food the best route, and is there an alternative to the SO?

- would we be better off switching entirely to a different diet, and what would that be?

Thank you in advance for any input!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My GSD has a high pH and her urinalysis test showed she has 2-3 struvite crystals. Our vet also wants us to put her on Science Diet and I refuse to put her on it; so we've just finished transitioning her to Orijen from Acana. Once she's been on it 6 weeks, she'll be tested again. In any case, see their FAQ :Champion Petfoods | F.A.Q, particularly the second question in Health Topics "Q: URINARY HEALTH - Does ORIJEN promote urinary health?".
Another member has suggested to my post to use yogurt and berry supplement or a cranberry extract to compliment her diet.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
1. There are probably formulas of dog food out there that are alternatives. Check out this site, www.dogfoodanalysis.com , and see if you can find a formula that would help.

2. I think your dog in this case would benefit from a raw diet. Check out the raw/barf section of the forum and ask the raw feeders what they think and will switching to a raw diet help your dog.

Good luck and keep us updated! :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have never had a dog with urinary issues but I have 3 male cats of which one suffered a blockage and had to be rushed to the emergency room. I know their dietary requirements are different but you may find this information useful. I had all of them on Solid Gold but after Scooby suffered a blockage I did some research and switched them to Evo for 6 months and then Orijen became available in my area and after a consult with my vet we switched. I tried the Royal Canin formula when he came home from the hospital but he would not eat it. They loved Evo but really like the Orijen. I just recently, about 3 months ago, put them on the fish formula and they like that too. I have not had a single episode of urinary issues since. I have my 3 shepherds on it too and every one is doing great and my vet complains that he never sees me any more. I also supplement with raw. There is also a cranberry powder that you can put on their food. I am not sure who makes it but that and lots of berries make a difference.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After a lot of reading we've decided to put her on Fromm Whitefish and Potato - it has low levels of magnesium, phosph, and calcium - and supplement with cranberry extract. She's done well on the Fromm Adult Gold in the past so we're hoping this will be a smooth transition for her, and we can feed it to the other dog as well (Plott Hound - he'll eat anything).

For those of you feeding yogurt with the supplement, is that for probiotic purposes? Maisy loves yogurt, and probiotics are always good, but I'm concerned about the extra calcium/phosph that would introduce. I may try liquid cranberry extract added to her food, along w/soaking the kibble to increase moisture intake.

I will update as things progress - thanks all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts