German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if anyone has read some of my posts on Diesel, he was a pain in the butt..and loved to bark, chew, bite, jump and everything else imaginable.

I brought him home at 7 weeks old..when I had first pick of the litter and fell in love instantly. He was the love of my life.. He turned 9 months old on October 13.. and although it's been ROUGH training him and he drove me CRAZY, i loved him and nothing can change that..no matter how bad he was.

Long story short.. it's been hard since me & my fiancé work and my dads home during the day and will take care of him but we felt so bad about not having the time to be with him and take care of him 24/7. So it's been upsetting..but yesterday my fiances friend from work picked up Diesel and took him to his home.. i'm literally devastated. I don't think i've EVER been this upset..I've been hysterically crying and I just don't know what to do. I want so bad to ask for my dog back.. but he's in a home where he has someone with him all the time and acres of land to run on.. I feel like I'm being selfish, but I also was with him everyday since I brought him home (regardless if it was 10 minutes or 10 hours) and I miss him.

Has anyone else had to give their dog away? If so, how did you cope with it? I feel like my heart sank.. it's the worst feeling ever. :teary:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
No, I haven't.

I'm glad for Diesel that you realized you were unfit to be owners though. I'm sure he'll be better off in his new home.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're not "unfit"- I have another dog and he has one too, but they're adults and don't need someone 24 hours a day....but we just have so much going on right now that's its hard especially because hes still a puppy. I love him enough to let him go, but I love him tooooo much and I just want him back, but I know it's not right.. it's rough.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ouch that sounds really cruel i know you didnt mean it the way it sounds when read "unfit to be owners" but sounds bad i think it sounds better stated that your glad for diesel that you found him a home where he can have more time and activities with his owner. or something like that.

again not trying to be rude just sounds wrong when read

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
did Diesel ever recover from his illness and adverse reaction to the drug?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks seyffertc.. it did sound pretty cruel. I dont think they meant it badly, but who knows. i KNOW im not an unfit owner..we loved and cared for Diesel since the day I brought him home, but I also know that he needs to be with someone who has the time to do activities and fun things with him during the day.

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
No, I haven't.

I'm glad for Diesel that you realized you were unfit to be owners though. I'm sure he'll be better off in his new home.

Any particular reason why you are being so harsh on people that rehome their dogs? I find it hard to fault a person who does what they think is the right thing for the dog over what they personally want.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
..no matter how bad he was.
Dogs are not "bad." Dogs are dogs. They do what they are trained, or not trained, to do. If the dog isn't taught the proper behaviors what difference does it make to him if he barks, nips, chews up the couch vs his toys, etc

Most dogs are just fine with people that work full time jobs. There is no reason in the world why a dog has to be given away because people work, and they don't need acres of land to run on. You make time for the things that matter and things that are priorities. If you work full time, you spend time before and after work exercising and training the puppy. That's just how it is.

Some puppies/dogs are more difficult than others, but none of them are "bad." Sorry but that just rubbed me the wrong way, you saying his behaviors are bad. His behaviors are all he knew. He didn't know any better. That doesn't make him a bad dog, it makes him an untrained one.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i'm sorry if this comes out wrong or mean but what makes you think he needed you home 24/7? i'm just curious what makes you think that when most everyone else on this board works and still finds time to spend with their dogs? My husband works full time. I work part-full time. We have two kids and 3 dogs one of which being a 6 month old puppy. They're not suffering. I'm glad you were able to find a home better suited for him.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
You knew exactly what Diesel needed and found it for him. The best decisions aren't always the easiest ones. I am sorry for your loss.

Will your fiances friend let you see Diesel once in a while as he grows?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rerun.. you clearly took what I said literally. He wasn't a BAD dog.. he was the best dog ever or else I wouldn't be writing how UPSET I am. And he was TRAINED..by an amazing trainer and we worked with him every single day.

& yes, of course it's a responsibility and you make things that are important to you a priority.. and he was a very big priority in my life, but so is making a living and making money to FEED my priority (Diesel). So clearly your post rubbed me the wrong way..

And throughout my entire post, the thing that rubbed you wrong was because I said he was BAD? He had his mistakes from time to time (chewing up the couch as an example) but to sit there and say he wasn't bad, just untrained when you don't even know is wrong.

Have a heart.. I'm sure you guys wouldn't like it if someone said the same thing to you if something happened and you had to give your dog away? We gave him away because we truly believe he deserves a home where people can be with him all the time and shower him with love (not that we didn't, because we absolutely did) hes at an amazing home, and I'm grateful for that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks.. & Yes, he will! My fiance sees his friend every day at work, and his friend said I can absolutely see him whenever I want because he knows how hard this is for me and he's thankful that we chose him to take our little man home..

I'm going to wait a bit though before I see him so Diesel can get into the swing of things at his new home and he doesn't get confused. But I can't wait to see him and get kisses from him already!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KZoppa.. I'm sure most people don't work 12-16 hours a day like my fiance..and I'm not home for over 12 hours a day - everyone's situation is different. if I'm going to have a dog, I want that dog to have the absolute best life they can possibly have and never feel lonely. I'm not saying he needs someone to be with him 24 hours a day.. everyone is kind of taking little things I'm saying literally, but I want him to have someone around, I never liked the fact of thinking Diesel was going to be lonely for hours a day. Never felt right to me.

So even though you and your husband have 2 kids and 3 dogs and manage it all well, I unfortunately can't right now. I'm glad you can, but I admit that I can't at this age. I have a lot of things going on, and Diesel shouldn't suffer because I can't be around. So now he will be in a home where they are going to LOVE him and spend all the time in the world with him. I'm not happy about not having him, but i'm happy about him being in a great place.. and that to me is very "fit"

·
Registered
31,971 Posts
Sometimes whatever people do is not enough. These people realized they were over their heads, or the dog needed more than they could give, and rehomed the puppy instead of dumping the older dogs.

Everyone says, the older dogs wre there first, they should stay. Well that is what the OP did.

Then they found the dog a new place to live that will be able to provide more attention to the pup. It is a tough thing to do even for the best reasons.

I think the owners made a mistake in getting a puppy that they did not have enough time for. I think it would only compound that mistake for them to go on and on, knowing that they are not doing right by the puppy. If the new home can give the pup more of what IT needs, that's great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Selzer, when we brought Diesel home, I had more than enough time for him. But recently our careers have taken off and it just became kind of difficult. I would never keep him in a situation where I would do wrong by him..

My other dog is a 13 year old Malamute.. & my dad takes care of her. Diesel was MY puppy, MY dog..even though my dad helped me out, he couldn't do it all the time. So Diesel was my responsibility & I realized that it's best he goes to a loving home instead of not having me around and me not being able to play with him when I get home.

His new home will give him everything he needs and more, and I'm really happy about this. I can't stress that enough. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make even though it was the right one.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I don't see how I'm being harsh or rude.

The OP didn't have the time to take care of their dog so they were by definition, "unfit". They got rid of him so he could have a better life. I'm glad they realized they couldn't take care of him and gave him a better chance at life.

:confused:

eta; I'm sure it is hard to do, but I wouldn't commend anyone for that since it shouldn't be happening in the first place. People should know before they make a commitment whether or not they can make it work to save everyone the stress. This (and any situation where owners can't take care of their dogs) could turn out so bad for so many reasons. I don't feel the dogs deserve to be put in those situations, that's all.

Honestly, working in the shelters, people just rub me the wrong way when getting rid of their dogs now.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
KZoppa.. I'm sure most people don't work 12-16 hours a day like my fiance..and I'm not home for over 12 hours a day - everyone's situation is different. if I'm going to have a dog, I want that dog to have the absolute best life they can possibly have and never feel lonely. I'm not saying he needs someone to be with him 24 hours a day.. everyone is kind of taking little things I'm saying literally, but I want him to have someone around, I never liked the fact of thinking Diesel was going to be lonely for hours a day. Never felt right to me.

So even though you and your husband have 2 kids and 3 dogs and manage it all well, I unfortunately can't right now. I'm glad you can, but I admit that I can't at this age. I have a lot of things going on, and Diesel shouldn't suffer because I can't be around. So now he will be in a home where they are going to LOVE him and spend all the time in the world with him. I'm not happy about not having him, but i'm happy about him being in a great place.. and that to me is very "fit"

i meant no offense. honest. My husband is in the navy at a marine base. he works 12 hours a day on a good day but sadly good days are rare in this (evil) place. I'm 23 years old. Its not easy maintaining everything especially since my daughter recently discovered the ability to repeat EVERYTHING she says until she either gets yelled at for it or answered and then yelled at because she keeps doing it. I'm glad you found a home for your boy that he'll be somewhere he can burn off the energy. I'm not knocking it. I guess our dogs are just used to being home alone for long periods of time. But also as far as GSDs go, Shasta has the most energy. At least you were able to find a place for him that you'll still be able to see him. it'll get easier. Perhaps you should consider adopting an older GSD later?

·
Registered
31,971 Posts
If you know it is the right decision, you do not need for us to validate it.

I think there was a mistake made. When purchasing a pet, we really need to base our decisions with our pets in mind. Does this usually mean passing up a promotion? No. Could it? It could.

And this is why we strongly suggest kids in college wait until they are settled before getting a dog. There are so many unknowns and changes happening, that a puppy can be left out in the cold if things go other than a pretty narrow plan.

Ultimately, we do what we have to do. Wherever possible we make our choices with our dogs factored in.

I can understand putting our carreer ahead of our dogs, but when our career blots out our dog, well, from a site of dog lovers, that's just wrong. What is the use of making a ton of money if it means no dog?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i meant no offense. honest. My husband is in the navy at a marine base. he works 12 hours a day on a good day but sadly good days are rare in this (evil) place. I'm 23 years old. Its not easy maintaining everything especially since my daughter recently discovered the ability to repeat EVERYTHING she says until she either gets yelled at for it or answered and then yelled at because she keeps doing it. I'm glad you found a home for your boy that he'll be somewhere he can burn off the energy. I'm not knocking it. I guess our dogs are just used to being home alone for long periods of time. But also as far as GSDs go, Shasta has the most energy. At least you were able to find a place for him that you'll still be able to see him. it'll get easier. Perhaps you should consider adopting an older GSD later?
I would love to adopt an older GSD, I'm not thinking too much about another dog right now.. but in the future & I mean future (2+yrs) I'd definitely adopt!

1 - 20 of 195 Posts