German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, first off - I think it's official that despite how good my neighborhood looks, it's crawling with idiots with no common sense. Those retractable leashes that everyone knows and loves? Someone was walking their dog, a rather large dog, looked like a GSD mix, and had no control. He was all over the place and was about to take off the woman's arm in the process. I was driving home and this dog runs in the street (still on the leash!) in front of my car. If I drove like a large majority of the people in my neighborhood do, this dog probably would have been dead. I ask - WHAT is the point of putting a dog on the leash if it can jump out in front of cars?! People who use retractable leashes in this manner are idiots.

And my mom's irritated with me now because when we go to the dog park, I don't want to take Ozzy in either of the two sections with the big dogs. She said that he doesn't have little dog syndrome, so I shouldn't have to worry about a big dog attacking him. I know he's not going to try and attack a St. Bernard. That's not what I'm worried about. What I'm worried about is him running around playing and having fun and triggering another dog's prey drive 'cause he's so small. And I know huskies are notorious for that, and a lot of huskies to go that park. (And it's not just huskies I'm worried about, it's all big dogs whose prey drive he might trigger - just seems more common for huskies to kill small dogs at dog parks). If he runs in the opposite direction, there's no way I'm going to be able to catch up. Even one bite from a dog that's not so huge could kill him or seriously injure him. Am I in the wrong for wanting to avoid the 'big dog' part of the dog park? (There's a section designated for small dogs).

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Harley rolled over a Lab puppy and broke her hip while they were playing during a dog social.....(he was less than a year old, maybe 9mths, can't remember exactly) Even gentle giants can hurt a small dog by accident.

I'd say Ozzy would probably be safer in the smaller dog area for a lot of reasons. :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i take my dog to the local dog park and the woods. in the woods there's group of people that meet with their dogs. there's a Shih Tzu in the woods
gathering that's the pack leader. there's all sorts of dogs there, GSD's, Mastiffs, Pit Bulls, Labs, Goldens, Doddles, Chihuahuas, Akitas, etc. all of them get along (most of the time). every now and then we have to step in. there's a small dog section that's fenced off for the smaller dogs but a lot of people bring their smaller dogs in with
the general population. i like seeing all of the dogs mix it up. you have to decide
if it's ok for your dog to play with all of the other dogs. your dog will let you
know if it wants to play with all size dogs.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both of the parks for all dogs are huge. I'd be fine if it was with dogs I knew - like the 3 boxers (mom's friend's dogs). I was fine with them playing with Ozzy. But I'm less fine with a bunch of big dogs I don't know running around, since we all know that people lack 'common' sense.
I've seen a lot of small dogs in there with no problem, but idk. I'll probably just err on the side of caution and hang out with the ankle biters.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ankle biters?? From You??? I'm telling Ozzy... :p
Haha, every time we take the other dogs in (you have to pass the little dogs to get to the other parts), they all run to the fence and try to eat us. :crazy:

·
5,627 Posts
And my mom's irritated with me now because when we go to the dog park, I don't want to take Ozzy in either of the two sections with the big dogs. She said that he doesn't have little dog syndrome, so I shouldn't have to worry about a big dog attacking him. I know he's not going to try and attack a St. Bernard. That's not what I'm worried about. What I'm worried about is him running around playing and having fun and triggering another dog's prey drive 'cause he's so small. And I know huskies are notorious for that, and a lot of huskies to go that park. (And it's not just huskies I'm worried about, it's all big dogs whose prey drive he might trigger - just seems more common for huskies to kill small dogs at dog parks). If he runs in the opposite direction, there's no way I'm going to be able to catch up. Even one bite from a dog that's not so huge could kill him or seriously injure him. Am I in the wrong for wanting to avoid the 'big dog' part of the dog park? (There's a section designated for small dogs).
I think you are right not to take Ozzy in with the big dogs. My very first time at the dog park, I went with Raven and my friend and her Yorkie Poo. There were no small dogs and we weren't very educated in dog parks so we let the Yorkie Poo in with the big dogs. Everything was fine for about 20 minutes until the Yorkie Poo took off running and 2 greyhounds zeroed in on her. Next thing we knew there were 5 dogs trying to get to her including a huge Mastiff. Luckily she walked away with just a small puncture wound but she could have been killed.

Stick with the small dog section for Ozzy's safety. It's not worth the risk, IMO.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Do NOT take him into the big dog section. He could be seriously injured or killed. I don't use dog parks any longer and haven't for years, but when I did it was very frustrating to see people bring little bitty dogs into the big dog sections because many large breed dogs are "dog friendly" but not LITTLE dog friendly. I, as the owner of german shepherds, don't want to be responsible if my big dog and your little dog start wrestling and yours gets hurt. I'm not even talking about attacked. But the fact is a big dog can accidently hurt a dog the size of Ozzy very easily. Ask any ortho surgeon.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot of people take their small dogs into the big dog part with no issues, but I'm not sure I want to take that risk.

First time I went, someone took their Chi in and it was almost killed by a pit bull. Chi brought it on though, it was antagonizing the pit. But a bunch of other dogs joined in and the pit took the Chi in the water - it was scary.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Chrono has high prey drive, but he's never mistaken a small dog for prey. He's even gently played with an 8 week old chihuahua puppy(it was like the size of a friggin' hamster).

But that's just him, there's probably quite a few dogs that consider small dogs prey. I think my biggest concern would be Ozzy getting trampled or stepped on. One time Chrono was running towards his ball and a whippet was running around like crazy and turned in front of him and Chrono sent that dog flying 10 feet. Chrono didn't even notice he ran into anything. I was surprised when that dog got back up uninjured.

Even with a bunch of big dogs that don't consider small dogs prey, a small dog can still get seriously injured. There's a reason there are different sections for different sizes of dogs.

·
2,967 Posts
I think that's smart. Back when we did do dog parks, a fast running dog of any size easily triggered Argos' prey drive. He like to run it down and body check it. He never went in for an attack or anything (He was just a 70lb puppy at the time)...but I could easily see how he would injure a small dog that way. I got very god at recognizing dogs that would be "trouble" for us as soon as they got in the gate and take preventative measures...but so many dog park attendees are not that aware.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't do off leash parks either, but when I went with a friend, I was always annoyed when people let their little dogs in with the big dogs. So many of them do have small dog syndrome, and I saw more than a couple scuffles happen - almost all of them were caused by the little dog, but the big dog gets the blame. Fortunately, I never saw a dog get injured to the point of a vet visit, but a few of them could have gone very wrong. A lot of big dogs aren't great with small dogs either - I have had the hardest time socializing Kokoda to small dogs, since there are very few that we have come across that don't try to attack her!

I know Ozzy does behave around bigger dogs, but he is SO fragile that I would avoid the unknown big dogs when off leash. It would take nothing for my GSDs playing with each other to do irreparable harm to Ozzy and they probably wouldn't have even noticed he was there. I would err on the side of caution on this one and hang out with the anklebiters on this one :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think it would have to do with Ozzy's temperament too. When I worked doggy daycare, we would have smaller dogs every once in a while in the bigger dog yard, but they were small dogs with alot of attitude. Like a Jack Russel female that absolutely ruled the roost. Smaller dogs that could really stick up for themselves and create space around them so they didnt get knocked over and stepped on. This was also in a situation where I had very good control over every dog in the yard.

Now that kind of attitude around the wrong big dog could get him chopped on though. I wouldn't like my Poms or Chihuahua in a big-dog dog park where I had virutally no control over the other dogs. But that's just me.:)

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would do whatever makes you comfortable at the dog park, i know I wouldn't let skylar off leash around small dogs, even though she's good with them, i just wouldn't totally trust her instincts.
And i really don't think people realize how crappy those retractable leashes are! there was a little girl walking a huge husky on one of those in our neighbourhood, and it was pulling her down the street! also, it has a history of being aggressive, :crazy:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I can't agree more! I will never go to another dog park again, I have my reasons. As for the 250ft expandable leads lol the lady next door uses one to walk her dog.....well I was out in the yard w my dog and the woman came out of her driveway with her dog on the ex-lead, sooooo her dog saw my dog and took off running and pulled the old lady to the ground! I kind of felt bad but at the same point I felt that if she trained her dog to walk the right way, this wouldn't have happened. I'm glad she didn't break anything.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
As the owner of a big, clumsy, rambunctious, friendly puppy, one of my biggest stressors at the dog park is the thought of Shasta hurting a smaller dog by accident. It could happen so fast that even if I were standing right next to her, I might not be able to prevent it. If there's an area dedicated to smaller dogs, why not use it? Just seems prudent.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I don't like DPs for obvious reasons. I don't take mine to them.
However, I've used the retractable leash with Sadi when she was a puppy. I ditched it after a couple months.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I also have NO use for dog parks.

BUT I think it is foolish to take small dogs in with large dogs that you don't know. It is just asking for trouble. ("Trouble" being a seriously injured or dead little dog.) Not only due to the fact that a large dog could hurt a small one INTENTIONALLY but they are too easily "broken" accidentally.

As far as the fact that "other people do it", it makes me think of the old "If so-and-so jumped off of the bridge, would YOU have to do it too"?

·
Registered
682 Posts
And some of these trails are getting out of hand as well, I live in the country and there are no street lights so when I get home from work I take my dog to a local elementary school that has a lighted walking trail behind it, anyway, Me and my fiance were walking our dog and we came upon a woman and she was letting her little white dog walk off leash, so I asked the woman to either leash her dog or pick him up, she said " Oh Baxter won't bother you don't worry about it" hmmmmmmm Ok so I tried to pass but the dogs got together for a second and Baxter nipped my pup on her mouth! WTF? The lady said Ohhhhhhhhh once he gets to know you he won't do that anymore..........really? REALLY? I wanted to kick Baxter like a football. I usually have a big mouth but I couldn't even say anything. I wonder what goes through peoples heads sometimes? And I hate when people humanize their dogs, she was telling "Baxter" that he shouldn't have done that cause he scared my pup? OK lady....ughhhhhhhh where is Michal Vick when you need him.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Konotashi.... to each their own. he's YOUR dog. You want him to be safe. Ozzy doesnt know mean dogs and he probably doesnt realize that some dogs are interested in trying to eat him for lunch. considering his general size, i wouldnt take him in with the big dogs. You're a responsible pet owner so its really about what YOU feel comfy with. personally if i had a small dog like Ozzy, he'd never get near the big dog side just because you never know who's dog is going to decide they're tired of being nice to smaller dogs.

and i dont think retractable leashes should be allowed period. on a walk, a dog shouldnt have that kind of freedom and it doesnt matter how well made the leash is supposed to be.... it will eventually break and then you have a loose dog.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts