German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a new 9 week old puppy...He has been amazing, so sweet and wants to cuddle.

I'm curious if theres much of a personality shift once he grows up? Will he continue to want to cuddle the way he does now? Will he continue to like the same things?

Thanks!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Jack's gotten more cuddly as he's gotten older. He's an even bigger baby now than he was as a little puppy (literally and figuratively). I've also noticed he's developed a more refined sense of humor, better communication and friendliness, and better judgement. Finally, he's mastered singing rather well and is less of a stickler about manners.

Otherwise, he's still a little bit of a nervous nelly. Still hates being away from us. And still hates puppies jumping uninvited on his face (though they can't really reach his face anymore, so it's not as much of a problem...).

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Mine mellowed as he got older. He is less energetic but his drive increased. His personality is similar to what it was as a baby. If you like cuddling, reinforce it. Mine hated cuddling as a puppy. He did not like to be restrained. I kept at it and now he comes over for hugs all the time because it’s enjoyable for him.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Both dogs are much like they are pups personality wise. Luna is still maturing but at the same time was always mature. Max has matured mellowed out and still has his charming personality. I think for the most part you often see what you get with pups they just mature and become more on a even a keel with the schedule of life. Neither have lost an ounce of their magic of who they are and affectionate at 1 1/2 and 3.

·
4,510 Posts
Big difference between puppy hood, two years old and four years old with my big boy. He went from wild child to a bit lazy to confident and a good worker. I suspect part of the laziness was that he melts in the summer heat. Being a big guy with a longer coat, he gets starts to conserve energy once it get over mid 60 degrees F and humid. I think he is a bit better able to pace himself or work through a bit of heat because he knows we won't ask him to over do it.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yep mine changed so much! When he was a puppy he acted like a golden retriever, he would go nuts for any random stranger... he's now a little over a year old and within the past month my once golden shepherd is now showing the typical breed standard of aloofness. He's still friendly in the sense if someone wants to pet him he will indulge them and then come back to my side and sit down quietly. Otherwise he no longer seeks strangers attention and completely ignores them. With family and friends he still goes bonkers though lol! Still doesn't bark though even when someone rings the door bell or knocks... he's been known to play with the post men but I guess he knows them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts