German Shepherds Forum banner

Have you had your dogs dew claws removed?

• Yes

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • No

Votes: 55 84.6%
  • The breeder had it done

Votes: 6 9.2%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya

Just wondering how many of you have dogs that had their dew claws removed :)
And why did you choose to have it done?

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Nope, all my dogs have always had their dew claws. Never saw a reason to remove them :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Every dog I've had has the front ones and no rear ones. The only one who had them removed was Cheyenne, but she had the back ones removed by the breeder she came from, but still had her front ones. Never saw a reason to do anything about it. Closest I come to being concerned about them is on hikes through long brush, so I'll put a single wrap of Sensi-Wrap around them when we go out if I think about it.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The breeder said that 3 of the 4 male pups in the litter had their rear dewclaws and she had them removed when they were a few days old.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I have never had an issue with them and they serve a function of stabilizing the front foot during jumps and turns per Chris Zink. They also sort of use them as a little thumb at times.

·
Registered
9,841 Posts
Which ones?
I don't know how to reply.
Hans has front ones but no rear ones.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Berlin has front dew claws. Never had a reason to remove them, and I didnt even know they get removed! I dont think he has rear dew claws? :confused:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've never had a dog with rear dew claws, I'm not sure if they were removed or they just weren't born with any.
I only had one dog with the front ones removed, a foster Shar Pei who was a stray rescue, and he had big cross-cross scars on his front feet where the dewclaws used to be. I don't know if they were done later in life or the breeder did a bad job or what. He had really thin/short fur so you could easily see them.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
My newfie cross had his rear ones removed right before we adopted him. Stella my GSD only has front ones and I have no plans to remove them.
Earlier this year my newfie managed to tear one of his front ones. Fortunately it wasn't too bad of a tear so it was able to heal without much intervention.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
One of my girls was born with rear dew claws and the breeder removed them, but all the GSDs I've ever owned have had front dew claws.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Bunny's front dew claws were removed by her breeder (True Haus) but I didn't discover that until the first time I clipped her nails. I was shocked, have had GSDs for about 27 years and they always had front dew claws. The AKC standard says "Dewclaws on the forelegs may be removed, but are normally left on."

·
Registered
766 Posts
Gunther still has his front dew claws and we've never had any issues with them other than him sticking us with them no matter how i trim/file them. He also uses them to hold in place toys while he's chewing on them :) I don't think he ever had rear ones though.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Front are good, they pick their teeth with it. or so I heard =)

We also asked the vet on our first visit and he mentioned that they should stay on GSD and are fine.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Nope... all of mine have theirs intact.

None of them were born with rear ones though. Just the fronts.

·
5,627 Posts
Front dew claws are functional, many dogs use them. Rear dew claws aren't usually functional on most breeds. Kaiser had his rear dew claws removed. The other two didn't have any. Would never remove front.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Penny has both front and back dew claws, when she gets spayed she will have her back ones removed as they are only attached at the skin and are very "floppy" they get caught on stuff thats the only reason I am removing her back ones...

·
Registered
766 Posts
iv always had my dogs rear dew claws removed. no real reason I guess just always something we've done during spay

1 - 20 of 28 Posts