German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, what level of training did it require you to complete with your dog?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't mean a committment to train with your breeder/rescue, but a commitment to train the dog to a certain level of obedience, etc., before they would let you purchase/adopt?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I didn't sign one, all my contract i signed was that I must take her to get all her shots and show records to the breeder she has been fully vaccinated.

·
5,627 Posts
Haven't done it but the rescues I know that require training don't specify what kind or level, just that the dog receive training. Had one adopter who had to show they had paid for lessons before the adoption was final.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yes, Apache's contract had a puppy class/obedience class clause. That was how I got into going to obedience classes.
If my life wasn't so crazy I would really like to go back.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado's contract has a temperment guarantee. Training was only a requirement if you want to invoke the guarantee as he was sold as a companion

Temperament is guaranteed providing the dog has passed a basic level obedience course and the owners have shown a willingness to learn about
dogs, and continue training after the course. Once any sort of protection work, agitation work, or abuse has begun or occurred with herein dog,
the Vendor no longer has any responsibilities for the temperament of herein dog.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Training is a good idea whether or not the breeder/rescue requires it. I think a lot of breeders put that into their screening process without the buyers knowing it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't have a training "requirement" but I have a training incentive.

BH: 25% off the next dog
IPO 1: 50%
IPO 2: 75%
IPO 3: Free puppy of equal value of my first dog, and I pay the difference on a higher value pup.

Pretty good contract if you ask me!

I plan on making training to an OB level 2 or equivalent, with the trainer of their choice, a requirement in the first 2 years with my first litter. This is a very achievable level but puts the onus on the owner to get their dog socialized and trained. If an experienced owner/trainer/competitor purchased a dog, this would be waived though.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The rescue I got my dog from includes training with the dog, as they are also trainers and feel odds are better for a dog to have a forever home with some training. They also will help to address any issues you are having with your dog.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have a training "requirement" but I have a training incentive.

BH: 25% off the next dog
IPO 1: 50%
IPO 2: 75%
IPO 3: Free puppy of equal value of my first dog, and I pay the difference on a higher value pup.

Pretty good contract if you ask me!

I plan on making training to an OB level 2 or equivalent, with the trainer of their choice, a requirement in the first 2 years with my first litter. This is a very achievable level but puts the onus on the owner to get their dog socialized and trained. If an experienced owner/trainer/competitor purchased a dog, this would be waived though.
NICE!! This is more like what I was hoping to hear.

And for rescues, at least a basic obedience would be nice.

Thanks all, keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It was a suggestion by my breeder, but not a requirement. Although, I don't know why anyone wouldn't at least take their dog through basic training.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My contract for Gabriele states that she has to have her BH.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Have not and would not (though I do train all my dogs).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just a off topic of what was asked here, My GSD is 17 weeks old this coming up Saturday and has yet to be in any training classes cause my schedule has been to hectic to get her in to them. Is there a certain age to start basic obedience or is it never to late to have it done.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
My breeder did have a clause in her contract that said we had to put Niko through beginner obedience. Once we got his completion certificate we had to e-mail her a copy.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have not and would not (though I do train all my dogs).
I haven't thought this all the way through, hence the curiosity, but what's the drawback / reason you would not?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I haven't thought this all the way through, hence the curiosity, but what's the drawback / reason you would not?
My dog, my choice. I don't sign contracts with lots of strings attached (breeding, registration, training, co-ownerships). I'll decide what to train my dogs and when.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My dog, my choice. I don't sign contracts with lots of strings attached (breeding, registration, training, co-ownerships). I'll decide what to train my dogs and when.
You appear to be an exceptional dog owner, though. I imagine it wouldn't be an issue, because your breeder would already be aware of your commitment ?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I don't think it's realistic for a breeder to enforce though. Unfortunately many people get dogs with the intention of doing this or that, and for various reasons (often very good reasons) they cannot follow through. Then what, their dog is confiscated?! I don't mind the incentives that some breeders and rescues offer but I don't sign anything that requires me to do something with my dog (training, feed certain things or not feed certain things, abstain from certain activities, jump through hoops to get registration papers...). I can't promise anything other than the fact that my dog will always have a secure home where he is fed, nourished, and loved. The rest is just icing on the cake and I do it because we love doing it, not out of any obligation. If the breeder doesn't think I'm a good home then don't sell me a dog.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts