German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 year old gs. One morning we woke up and he was throwing up. We saw later that he was drinking a lot but then eventually he would throw it all up. I figured it was because I had given this canned dog food that I had not given him before. He was fine before the dog food . I decided to take him to the vet and he sent us home with $600 with the bills and basically said he has a stomach problem. But when he got home he was acting very strange. It may have been from the medication they gave him. They had gave him some anti-nausea medication but I called the vet immediately as it did nothing as he was still throwing up. When i brought him back, they disgnosed himwith GVD. They also said because we caught it early he should be OK but it would be a 50-50 chance if he would make it. we did the surgery but im really second guessing this. From what I read they should get bloat which he did not have. I inquired about it they said that he was passed that stage. But when I asked again about it they said that he was just beginning to have it..
is there a way to find out if he actually had it or not..

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sounds awful, so sorry you and your dog went through that.

You could always take him to another vet and get a second opinion.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
It is hard to say but it may have been. Did you see xrays? Did your vet do the surgery? some vets refer it out because they don’t do it themselves.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Isn’t this the second post in the last few days on the exact same topic? Do you guys go to the same vet or something? What a strange coincidence because I don’t think I’ve ever seen a post like this before and now there are two.

·
Registered
31,352 Posts
Vets don't do surgery unless there is a reason. If you are in doubt, ask them to go over the test results and the results of the surgery. If you are still in doubt, take all the test results and the notes to a 2nd vet for review.

This is the 2nd thread in a week with this question. I think there is a misunderstanding of bloat vs bloat with torsion. You should discuss that with your vet as well. This may be what is confusing you.

·
Registered
31,352 Posts
Isn’t this the second post in the last few days on the exact same topic? Do you guys go to the same vet or something? What a strange coincidence because I don’t think I’ve ever seen a post like this before and now there are two.
It is!! I had to look to see if it was the same person but new post!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts