German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw on my breeders website that the last male pup has been reserved that Brady sired.
My DH and i decided not to take a pup due the this suck *** economy and the fact he is really slow with work (construction).
The Breeder said she would use B next year and we would definately take one then.
My biggest fear is she won't use him and I won't be able to get one of his pups!!!
please tell me I did the right thing, I have tears in my eyes. Not to mention the breeder has not paid me either

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
There are a lot of nice dogs out there. If the economy is such that you can't afford another dog right now then you made the right decision.

It is unfortunate that the breeder has not paid you. I doubt I would let her use your dog again until she pays up for this one.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I think you did the right thing! Even if the breeder doesn't use him again next year, there's always the following year. He's a young dog and has lots of years ahead of him to sire another litter. You also have a 5 year old lab - that's got to be a lot of work exercising 2 young dogs.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Good job useing your head instead of your heart.

Very good decision. You can always second guess yourself but dogs are expensive. You do not want the joy of your new addition to be clouded by financial stresses.

IMO you did right by yourself and the dog.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your opinions.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Waiting also gives you a chance to see how Brady's progeny turn out. You may decide that you don't want to use him for breeding again.

One of the nicest looking Shepherds I had ever met threw the WORST looking progeny! Genetics is such a gamble.

And it gives you a chance to put more titles or health certs (OFA Hips, Elbow, Cardiac & Thyroid, CERF, VWD, etc.) on him.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
This is a hard time we are going through and better to keep the peace at home. Besides the pup would always be looked at the expense you didn't need. Know you probably feel in love due to your dog being the father, we have our hearts out there don't we.

But best to wait and ha, give your dogs a big hug, they love you and deserve the time right now.

Give yourself a break and are you able to when the timing is right use another breeder (after you get your money - if this one is not workable) when you are ready next year. Sorry I don't know the breeder's rules

Good luck and sounds like you made the right choice for all.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I agree with everyone, its probably better to wait. The economy is scary right now and more and more people are having a hard time just making ends meet with what they have. If things are tight, why make them tighter? Take your time and when the timing is better you'll be able to get another pup.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
This morning, Dh and I were just talking about our (non-GSD) pup that we just brought home 2 weeks ago. Money is tighter for us than we expected a few months ago when we committed to getting the pup. And gosh, we LOVE her. But wow, I actually said to Dh, it would have been easier financially if we didn't get her. One of our other dogs has been in to the vet more than we expected, and gas prices continue to rise, and food prices, and our homeowners insurance bill just came in and it's gone up a lot too. Whew...

And now we have this tiny mouth to feed (and she had some vet bills. Minor vet bills, but vet bills all the same). So, we love our pup, and we don't regret getting her. BUT it would have been A LOT easier had we waited.

Like, TONS easier.

So...don't second guess yourselves. While there's never a great time to get a puppy, there's definitely better times than others.

If you have a bit of extra money, start a savings account/puppy fund now. Start calling the breeder and request your money (she's been paid by all the puppy purchasers) and put that money into your fund as well. This way, you'll have a nice bit of $$ for a puppy and all those unexpected things that ALWAYS happen. And in the meantime, if you need the funds for something else, you have them too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all
I know we made the right decision
I have a big soft spot for GSD's especially my Baby's pups!!!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Maybe the breeder would give out your number or email so you can keep in touch with this litter? That would be fun, you'd get to play with them and see how they turn out. We're picking up first of the littermates, so I'm going to leave my info if anyone wants to get together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts