German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This and leave all the rest. Except teaching them to to settle to reset your schedule - sitting on the dog or crating to have them settle and that there is a big difference with energy levels between 11 months old and mature dogs. Most people rehome or get rid of dogs are at the 10-12 month old mark. The more you exercise the fitter the dog the becomes and the more difficult to get them tired especially at 11 months old was my entire point. Nose works is certainly a favorite.
Here is the thing, I would rather my dog be a fit dog and have to spend the extra time with him running trails, etc., every day then force him to be a couch potato for my own convenience. Same with the cats I've had, I always spent time playing with them and taking them for (short) daily walks. My cat Snoopy would follow me everywhere like a puppy, I once went to a nearby store to get some groceries, she walked over with me, waited outside while I got my shopping done and then walked back home with me.

None of my animals has been overweight, except for a rescue dog who looked like a sausage when I got her. She was a rough collie, 10 years old when I got her and had lived a rough life. She was SO DELIGHTED when I started taking her on trails. Just radiated joy. She gradually slimmed down to a nice weight and lived to be 14 years old.

Anyway, my current dog has pushed me to be more fit since he never seems to get tired when we are out hiking trails. However, as long as I give him that good walk first thing in the morning, he's totally chill for a few hours and I can get some work done.

I just assumed he was a working line since he's so energetic, but from this thread I've learned this is a bad assumption...

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Here is the thing, I would rather my dog be a fit dog and have to spend the extra time with him running trails, etc., every day then force him to be a couch potato for my own convenience. Same with the cats I've had, I always spent time playing with them and taking them for (short) daily walks. My cat Snoopy would follow me everywhere like a puppy, I once went to a nearby store to get some groceries, she walked over with me, waited outside while I got my shopping done and then walked back home with me.

None of my animals has been overweight, except for a rescue dog who looked like a sausage when I got her. She was a rough collie, 10 years old when I got her and had lived a rough life. She was SO DELIGHTED when I started taking her on trails. Just radiated joy. She gradually slimmed down to a nice weight and lived to be 14 years old.

Anyway, my current dog has pushed me to be more fit since he never seems to get tired when we are out hiking trails. However, as long as I give him that good walk first thing in the morning, he's totally chill for a few hours and I can get some work done.

I just assumed he was a working line since he's so energetic, but from this thread I've learned this is a bad assumption...
Good thinking!

Reactions: Shefali

·
Registered
609 Posts
Dogs get used to the amount of exercise you give them. I’ve never owned a German Shepherd that needed 3 1/2 hours a day. You might want to also teach settling techniques and reward for calm behavior. I had another herding breed before German Shepherds who was an outdoor dog by choice. He ran himself about 4 hours a day. It was his choice and he seemed to like it until he was a senior. He lived to be 16 1/2.
"Dogs get used to the amount of exercise you give them."
Boy is this an accurate statement. And the smart, bored dog will learn to 'demand' more and more fun and attention, if you enable them and give in.

My rescue girl is really into my routine here on the farm. She gets in her farm runs 2 or 3 times per day and then naps after each run., Day in day out, it's the same routine. UNTIL my son shows up to entertain her for the day. And it's a LONG day because she's learned to tell him, Let's go do something" and heads for the door. She used to park herself next to his car to tell him but when that stopped working now she nudges him and runs for the door.
Of course he gives in and takes her to town again or another dog park. Some days they go to 3 different dog parks. Plus they found a great spring fed river that so nice and clear and cool, so if it's over 80 they go there too and swim for an hour.
It exhausts her, especially in our heat. But she now demands he go, go, go with her.

Jax is so right, they can go all day once they're amped up and fit.

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
Males are more intense in general. Like I said before - you set the schedule and you obvious have issues with your own schedule so either keep doing the same or do something different. I have a chihuahua that is 12 he keeps up with the big boys I have to scoop him up to ensure he gets rest. The only way you will make your dog a couch potato if you over feed them and do nothing with them then they learn to live with this. People turn there dogs into couch pototoes as that is the schedule they set. If you exercise you dog and engage with your dog everytime he gets restless you will just get more and more of the same. If you set a schedule that is something beneficial and rewarding to both of you then that is healthy all around. They need mental stimulation and it is just as important as exercise in certain dogs as intelligence varies.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts