German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lincoln was 9 weeks when w head our couple friend came over for a visit. They have a 2 years old lab and just start going to obedience class. They were telling me what they learn in the class that day about teach them to stop biting by pulling the ear. And to illustrate that, instead of pulling their own dogs ear, he pulls Lincoln's! The one that already stood up!

Lincoln is now 11 weeks. That ear that was pulled went down and in the flying nun stage (according to the other thread I read). Another ear is now up.

It makes me wonder; if he hadnt pull that ear, would that ear be up by now? did he break my dog ear??!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow! I have never been told that pulling a dogs ear will stop them biting and I am not sure that I would do that, but for him to do that to your dog is totally wrong. I am not sure how you could tell if the ear was damaged from being pulled or if it just went down due to normal puppy teething. I know that at 11 weeks they are teething and the ears are usually up and down at diffrent points. Did the puppy yell or paw at his ear after your friend pulled it? Did he act hurt after? I guess to know for sure you would have to have your vet look at him.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Did your dog yelp? I would think he'd have to yank pretty dang hard (I disagree with this form of obedience "training" especially for such a young pup!!) to ruin an ear. I would assume it just went down for a bit, and will eventually come back up...but I am no expert, could always have your vet check it out when you get his next set of shots :)

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No he didnt yelp or seem hurts. I will ask the vet to look at them closely next visit :) And i agree! I will never pull my dogs ear no matter what he did. Let alone let others do it. We threw them out pretty quick. They like to teach me how to raise my dog. This include telling me to neuter him as soon as I get him. Tell me to smack my dog when he chew. Tell me to not let the dog play outside, only to go potty (they live in a one bedroom apartment). Tell me to take him to petsmart while he's a puppy because I will get a lot of attention. Tell me I'm crazy to wait on breeder to get my pup and that I can go get those selling in the parking lot. Sometimes I feel like she purposely giving me all this bad advice since its all sounds so stupid.

So how long is the teething last?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It's probably ok. My dogs ear was up and then flopped back down for a few weeks and now both ears are back up.

I've read teething is up to 6 months. My dog is almost 5 months and is still teething.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i think the ear will be fine as long as he didn't act like it was a serious problem. I would have exploded on that person though. That's a good way to create a head shy dog.

·
Registered
766 Posts
my pup teethed up to 6 months :)... 9 months now he just loves to chew on everything for the sake of chewing. The wanting to chew for some dogs just doesn't go away :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ears go up and down several times during the first year. It's a puppy/growing thing. I'm sure your pup will be just fine. Next time tell your friend to keep their hands to themselves.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for response!

She wonder why I don't use her trainer. If her trainer teach their students to pull the ears for disciplinary action, I would never go near that place.

·
Banned
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think they meant to ruin his ears. They think they are good with dog and well experienced so they should tell me how to raise mine. I don't know much about dog either but since they have a lab I guess lab doesn't have ear problem since they don't have to go up

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
no way people never should grab your dogs like that if someone grabs my dog i am on them right away if its a collar or anything no one puts their hands on my dog except me, people are stupid and you dont know what they will try

ive heard of a gsd ear breaking like this but it was pulled hard

·
Registered
701 Posts
They like to teach me how to raise my dog. This include telling me to neuter him as soon as I get him. Tell me to smack my dog when he chew. Tell me to not let the dog play outside, only to go potty (they live in a one bedroom apartment). Tell me to take him to petsmart while he's a puppy because I will get a lot of attention. Tell me I'm crazy to wait on breeder to get my pup and that I can go get those selling in the parking lot. Sometimes I feel like she purposely giving me all this bad advice since its all sounds so stupid.
Hopefully she is doing it in jest on purpose, because if this is really how she thinks, well, I would hate to be her dog.
This is stupid, terribly bad advice, you are certainly right about that.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I think you have good instincts. Just because someone's "had dogs", doesn't mean they know squat about raising them.

Follow your gut, get some good training books, search the forum for training and raising, and look up puppy/dog training in your area. Meet the trainers without your pup first, and see what their philosophy is. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts