German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Diatomacious Earth for fleas? What were the steps you used, how much did you put down? We have the food grade version and my DH is concerned for the carpet and animals & us inhaling it.

Any information is much apprecaited as we plan to do the house tomorrow.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The possibility of inhaling the dust concerned me, so I went with 20 Mule Team Borax instead.

I sprinkled some on the carpet and then did a quick vacuum. That left a little on the carpet and the majority went into the vacuum to kill any fleas I might have sucked up.

It seemed to help, along with spraying Amazon.com: Ark Naturals - Neem Protect Spray, 8 fl oz liquid:… The frontline plus we used 2 weeks ago has been worthless. I might just stick with neem oil from now on.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I used the borax to kill dust mites, that stuff is potent!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
When I had a problem with fleas, I put it down on my living room and bathroom rugs as well as applying to my cat and dog. It didn't do a thing for the fleas. As a test, I put a few fleas in a jar with DE and the fleas were not affected in any way after 24-48 hours. I covered the fleas with the powder and they still wouldn't die. lol.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
just as an FYI, they say not to use borax if you have cats.

I don't have fleas here (knock on wood),,but years ago, when I did, you treat EVERYTHING at once,,bomb the house, treat the animals.. Of course it doesn't help if you have outside fleas, unless you treat that area as well..

Personally, I don't use anything on my yard, or in my house ( don't need to at the moment),,,also if you have cats that are indoor/outdoor, they are usually the culprits bringing in the fleas:(

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Years ago when I was living in MD I was having a bad problem with fleas and some friends from FL swore by the 20 Mule Team Borax. I tried several boxes, sprinkling it in the carpets, but it never work for me. I ended up using flea collars (the best flea control product I could find at that time).

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
It seemed to help, along with spraying
Amazon.com: Ark Naturals - Neem Protect Spray, 8 fl oz liquid:… The frontline plus we used 2 weeks ago has been worthless. I might just stick with neem oil from now on.

I just got the Neem spray a few weeks ago, it works pretty good as a repelant. I was spraying the dogs before I'd go out on the trails and instead of finding 10 ticks I'd find 2. I even tried it on myself and it does work. I tried to get a larger bottle and they said thats the only size it comes in, but told me to get the supreme neem oil and make my own spray. I don't have a problem with fleas just ticks. I also used Diatomacious Earth food grade as a powder on the dogs, it may work on fleas but I wasn't seeing any results with ticks. I'm not thrilled with Advantix.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Just don't breath the DE. It can cause lung problems. It's okay to eat and you've probably been eating it all along and not known.

I haven't used it for fleas yet, but I use it around the perimeter of my house to keep bugs out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We also have an indoor-only cat so can't use the borax. From what i have read online the DE should do the trick and we have masks to make sure we don't inhale it. I was planning to put the cat and dog in the garage while we dusted the house. We have a small backyard so we plan to put it down out there too.

I'll let everyone know how it works out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts