German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that this is great stuff and that many members use it. Unfortunately, I have not read how much to apply, where on the body, or how much time does it take to be effective.

Does the DE stop the larvae as well? I

s it safe for cats? I have a cat who is an indoor cat so he gets them from the dog so it's a vicious circle when we get fleas in the house.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I use it in my chicken coops and around the perimeter. I don't use it on my dogs/cats, as I don't have a flea problem..

Some say it works, others say it doesn't..so who knows? I do know I do not have bugs on or around my chickens..

oops, and I guess you just dust them with it,,not alot is needed...Make sure you use the HUMAN GRADE, I use Red Lake DE you can get it at Tractor supply pretty cheap

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the human grade and had it for years. I tried it once before and I didn't see any results. Maybe I didn't apply enough? I went on youtube looking for answers and found one video that puts a cat in a plastic bag with the head poking out. The owner literally dusted neck to tail. Do I need to do that with a dog?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I personally would never dust my dogs with it. I have fed it (human grade only of course) to them, and also put it inside and outside around the house. My Nara was having the flea problems, and also potential allergy problems, and she was itchy all the time. I didn't want to dry out her skin with this abrasive powder. It took Capstar teamed up with Frontline to get rid of the fleas for us at the time, and I was hoping to avoid chemical meds.

I remember from my WAR ON FLEAS that their eggs can be dropped by the hundreds all over the house, and most end up under woodwork, in cracks/corners, and under furniture. I read that all it takes is the vibration from footsteps or a vacuum to awaken the eggs and they can lay dormant and hatch up to 2-3 years after they were dropped. I hate fleas!!!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Tosca has environmental and food allergies. Her skin is a mess and I am uncomfortable with giving her chemicals and possibly starting new problems. I may have to resort to topicals if this does not work. Oral meds have to be given with food and she does not always eat when I want her to. I worry about the flavoring as well. My vet only sells oral meds so I will have to call around to see what I can find.

I have sprayed my carpet in the past with a Raid product specifically designed for fleas and was highly successful with it.

I hate fleas too!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have read about garlic being used. Are you speaking about fresh? How much? How does DE in water help as a flea deterrent?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I did put in on mine, it's very dusty and I had it everywhere:( I probably used to much. I have used it for ants and it works great. I have also used it on the carpets and furniture as a just in case. I don't have a flea problem.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I feed garlic and use DE in their water.

I'm a groomer and I live around TONS of dogs on a military base and we've never gotten fleas.
As far as I know water gets rid of it. If you put it outside and it rains you have to reapply. It can go in their food for internal stuff and I've done that too.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
have you tried Organic Apple Cider Vinegar in water? My dogs/chickens get it everyday in their water,,3T per gallon of water..not sure it works for fleas, but it's a good for their systems

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
have you tried Organic Apple Cider Vinegar in water? My dogs/chickens get it everyday in their water,,3T per gallon of water..not sure it works for fleas, but it's a good for their systems
Yes, she gets it all the time. Maybe not 3 tablespoons of it. I read elsewhere on the internet to use x-amount of teaspoons per gallon and I was afraid of giving her too much. I just pour some in her big bowl, maybe a tablespoon's worth.

I would like to say that ever since I applied DE on the dog, there has been less scratching. She has gotten hot spots though. What can I put on those to make them feel better? Coconut oil?

Tosca has environmental allergies to certain plants (ragweed and birch trees) and this is the time of year ragweed comes into bloom and our birch trees are dropping their leaves. These weeds are along the side of the road and undeveloped lots in our neighborhood so I am not sure if the itching is strictly due to fleas, but her skin does look better. Winter can't come soon enough because that is when her allergies disappear.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I use Vetericyn for hot spots, but I think coconut oil is a good choice as well..

My 'chicken peeps' gave me the dosage of 3T of ACV in the water, so that's where I got that from:)

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to Google Vetericyn and it seems to be an awesome product. I would like to purchase some locally ASAP. Where do you suggest I go? PetSmart only sells it online.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was hoping for the name of a major retailer. I guess I will check out Tractor Supply.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
TSC does carry it,,in fact I was in my local one yesterday, and the small bottles (and I mean small!) were on sale for 16.00 I also had a 10% off coupon..got an ear wash..

A tip for you, when I first bought it from a vendor at the Equine Affair, the rep told me even tho it has an expire date on it,,if you keep it in the refrigerator it will last a long long time without losing its effectiveness..Apparently they can't put that on the label because it hasn't been thru some certified long term testing re: refrigeration.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good to hear that Tractor Supply carries it. Tosca has some hot spots that won't go away and she is not helping. I was wondering which section of the store would Vetericyn be found?

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Good to hear that Tractor Supply carries it. Tosca has some hot spots that won't go away and she is not helping. I was wondering which section of the store would Vetericyn be found?

The smaller bottles of it can be found in the aisle that has dog supplies, at least it is in my Tractor Supply.
I usually go to the horse or cow aisle and buy the bigger bottles.
It is good stuff. :)

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked up the product on Tractor Supplies' website. It is showing a bottle for wound and skin care for 16 oz. $29.99 and 4 oz. for hot spots $16.99. My husband will pick some up on the way home. Is there a difference between the two besides one developed for hot spots?

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I looked up the product on Tractor Supplies' website. It is showing a bottle for wound and skin care for 16 oz. $29.99 and 4 oz. for hot spots $16.99. My husband will pick some up on the way home. Is there a difference between the two besides one developed for hot spots?

I actually have a bottle of the "Hot Spot spray" (smaller bottle that I bought when I didn't realize you could go in the horse aisle and get larger bottles) and a large bottle that is labeled "Wound & Skin Care". They both contain exactly the same ingredients.
We have seven pets as well as cattle, so I now get the big bottle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts