German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I found some little white worms in my dogs stool last night. I pick up the yard regularly so I know this is a very new issue.

Have you used Diatomaceous earth to de-worm before? Do I need to go to the vet? According to some sources DE is all you need for roundworm, tapeworm, whipworm.

They are on the heart worm meds, and I don't think heart worm shows up in stool right? thanks for you thoughts.

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
Sounds like roundworms. If they are on heartworm meds, take them in and have the worms verified. If they are a type the HW med should take care of then the company will pay all costs.

I've used it on a puppy before. Had him on Safeguard for a week and I KNOW there was an adult whip worm still in him. I saw it before it went back in. Poor thing was loaded. Gave him the DE and the next stool has all these white pieces in it. His fecal was clean for worms. So, IMO, I think it worked in that it cut up the adult worms. I don't think it dehydrates and kills the eggs as claimed.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jax! my understanding is it does NOT kill eggs either. The organic site I follow said to give it for 30 days to ensure you get the freshly hatched worms too. They are on heartguard for sure.

DE is actually really good for humans to take sometimes too...who knew? lol

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
I hear that! but I'm still not mixing it in my smoothie!!! lol

Are they on Heartguard? or Heartguard Plus? I would treat both dogs.

oh! and make sure you pick up the poop and spray the area with bleach water after they go. They can pick it right back up if you don't.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to check if it's HG or HG plus.. I did start treating both.

I didn't realize the bleaching was needed though. everytime they go? my yard is going to look great!

so if I stop seeing worms in a day or so, probably no need for the vet? both dogs are acting totally normal BTW. thanks again.

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
I would do a fecal anyways after treatment but that's just me. I'm OCD and easily grossed out by things with no legs.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Lots of people wanted herbs or DE to solve the problem of parasite resistance in goats. Lots of research done on it. Nothing encouraging. Don't know how applicable that is to dogs but I wouldn't trust it

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
it is a decent PREVENTATIVE but not so much for clearing up a problem that already exists. I would get some medication from the vet and then start adding DE to the diet.

Since I started feeding DE, I haven't add a single instance of worms in cat, dogs, rabbits or chickens in over 4 years.

·
Super Moderator
6,296 Posts
Those might have been tape worm segments if they were small and white.Heartguard doesn't work on those.I've used D earth to deform my dogs with good results.I first read about it here on the forum,then asked my vet about it.He recommended it highly.
I give it for thirty days to make sure all the eggs have hatched and get them all cleaned out.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
I just feed it daily to prevent infestation. I bought a 50lb bag for $20 4 years ago and am about 1/2 through it. And that includes using it on the yard when the bugs get bad

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Did they look like long strands of angel hair pasta or short bits or rice? Wiggling white worms could be rounds (long) or tapes (short).

My general rule of thumb is that I want a vet to run fecal test on any dog with visible worms because there are sometimes invisible (microscopic) other parasites too -- get them diagnosed and treated.

If you are determined to self-treat without a vet diagnosis, then I'd go with a broad canine dewormer that product gets both rounds and tapes -- just read directions carefully and follow dosing requirements exactly. Here's an example:
D Worm Combo Tablets | Revival Animal Health

If it turns out to be tapeworms, then your dog likely has fleas. Tapes are mostly transmitted by fleas, so they go hand in hand.

If it turns out to be rounds, they're zoonotic, so exercise appropriate caution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts