German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I know what the definition of diarrhea is in people. Is it the same in dogs??? I have a 5 1/2 month old GSD Link and the last couple of days he doesn't go anymore often but what is coming out is mushy. Can I give him canned pumpkin (without the spices) to help make it more solid. The only difference in what he is eating is tried some new treats for obedience and last night gave him some of the drippings from a beef roast we had.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If it's just softer than normal, I'd maybe skip a meal and then no treats/extra fat for a day. The pumpkin may help.

If ever it's watery and spraying out, then that's more an issue. Stop ALL food for 24 hours (water is fine) and then start up with teeny meals of white rice and boiled chicken.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
first what's a GSD Link?? my bot went through some diarrhea days/times. our boy went through diarrhea times between 3 and 5 months. sometimes everyday and then just sometimes. we were using a all natural food that we would lace with ground beef or chicken. then one day he just stopped. i think he was just getting use to his food and new diet. we gave him rice and chicken during the bad days. i don't know, i think he just grew out of it. these Shepherds are great and majestic but i think they have delicate insides. once they get use to something they're good to go. take him to the Vet to make sure he doesn't have some parasites or worms. take a stool sample with you when you go to the Vet. good luck with him, hopefully it's just growing pains.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
The drippings may have been too high in fat

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry his name is Link. he takes a deworming pill every month so not sure it can be worms. didn't realize they can get diarrhea from growing pains. thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts