German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ty has had diarrhea for the last two weeks, the vet said to starve him, so i did. That did`nt work, now they are saying he has the k9 form of sinkness and diarrhea that needs to be treated by medication. Has anyone got any ideas of things to try, before they pump his little body with drugs, someone told me to try a raw egg in his food, but im reluctant to try it because of the salmonelia, and don`t want to make him worse. He even wakes me up through the night to go out, because of his diarrhea. Has anyone got any suggestions greatfully received.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
How old is Ty. Two weeks of Diarrhea for a young pup isn't good, it isn't good for any pup or dog, but it is really unhealthy for young pups.

Like Jamie said, it would be nice to know what disease the Vet said your pup has.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vet said it was clostridium, and they said it was from drinking dirty water. I brought him from a farm but not a puppy farm. They were born in a stable, and at seven weeks old, the mother was chained up across the courtyard but tucked away out of sight from her pups. He was the only one that let us pick him up, where his brothers and sisters were so scared they yelped and hid.
I know i should have walked away, but i could`nt, if i could have brought all of them i would have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ty is 9 weeks i got him when is was 7 weeks old, he has had a bad tummy from the time i got him.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thank you, Do you think i should of left him there? My PA said i should have just walk away.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I agree use the treatment that the Vet is recommending.

Could'a, would'a, should'a. You have the pup now, no sense trying to figure out if you should have walked away, unless you are going to take the pup back, hopfully get your money back and walk away. Since you have had the pup for two weeks, not sure you would do that any more than walking away from a pup in need.

I think that at one time ALL of us have gotten a pup or a dog, that was in need.

Once you get the tummy problem straighten out, you might just have one happy wonderful healthy pup. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally Posted By: MIHA
mom of ty said:
Ty has had diarrhea for the last two weeks, the vet said to starve him.....
Did they test him for anything??? ...they just said you should starve him?

[/quote

Yes ,starve him , i Know i asked the vet to repeat it .

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Hmm...there's something about the term "starve" that would make me think about seeking another vet. It's not an accepted veterinary/medical term for "fasting".

What tests did the vet run anyhow? Depending on the strain, Clostridium responds to different antibiotics and is resistant to others:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob...6836b099c6bc91c

For starters, Probiotics would appear to be a reasonable treatment course for this pup that you could start asap.

But honestly, if this were my very young puppy with diarrhea, I'd be "pumping him full of drugs" asap. Salmonella from raw *organic* eggs is unlikely, but this little guy needs to start eating and retaining his nutrients. Eggs aren't going to do it.

I'm not a big fan of drugs. I like using natural approaches whenever possible. But this little guy doesn't have a lot of reserves. I'd ask the vet a lot of questions about what tests he's run. I'd print up article that I linked to and ask the vet about what strain of Clostridium your dog has to ensure that the vet is prescribing the right ones. If he can't answer my questions, I'd look for someone who can.

You have the pup now. No sense looking backward. But I think it'd be helpful to start asking hard questions about what's going on now -- which means having as much information as you possibly can, asking questions when you don't have that information, and knowing when traditional medicine is needed asap.

It sounds like you're a young adult? Sometimes, people take advantage of that, maybe push you around a little, til you stand up and say "hey. I'm not standing for this anymore." And Ty needs you to stand up for him now.

We'll try to give you information when we can to help you do that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Originally Posted By: 3K9MomHmm...there's something about the term "starve" that would make me think about seeking another vet. It's not an accepted veterinary/medical term for "fasting".
Exactly what I was thinking...

Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom
You have the pup now. No sense looking backward. But I think it'd be helpful to start asking hard questions about what's going on now -- which means having as much information as you possibly can, asking questions when you don't have that information, and knowing when traditional medicine is needed asap.

It sounds like you're a young adult? Sometimes, people take advantage of that, maybe push you around a little, til you stand up and say "hey. I'm not standing for this anymore." And Ty needs you to stand up for him now.

We'll try to give you information when we can to help you do that.
I agree, and you are in the right place, people on this forum are wonderful and have so much experience......especially when it comes to GI problems, so you can get a lot of info, help and support here...that doesn't mean this forum can replace your vet, it just helps you better understand and help your pup with his problems. I know I learned a lot here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for saying i am a young adult , the truth is when i was 35 i had a brain injury, that was 3 years ago when i woke up in ITU all i new was gone including memorys of my 3 kid ,so in a way i am young just not in body.
I did take Ty to see a new vet today he's got to go back in a weeks time after he has had all his meds (metrondazole).
Thank you for all your help and i will keep you all up to date .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to tell you the vet also weighed him his weight is 7.60kgs,(16.8lbs) is this good for a 9 week old pup

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Ty's Mom. Wow, at 35, I was kind of cynical and cranky (I still am; in fact!) Your attitude is so much more upbeat than mine, I just assumed that you were far younger!

I was looking at the growth chart I have for my GSD, and at 8 weeks, he weighed 17 lbs. So your pup seems to be ok in terms of weight. Now that he's on medicine and eating properly, he'll start to gain weight fast -- that is what puppies do best!
Well, besides sleep, play and poop!

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
I think you've gotten some good advice from the experts on the board. You sound very concerned and I'm sure only want what is best for Ty. Best of luck to you, hope he gets well soon and you don't have to keep taking him out due to the diarrhea.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to let you know that Ty as a lot more energy now he is much more like a puppy should be , he will pick up a shoe look at you and when you say his name or get up he runs like mad , he looks like he's got a great big smile on he's face and he can play for ever.
Still not there with his tummy but early days. Is it normal for a dogs wee to have no colour?
Thank you for the sites they are realy good and helpful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts