German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all my gsd is about to be 2 and he has never consistently had solid stool is this normal lately he is pooping more and more and its getting to the point where he cant even hold it in overnight anymore are there any suggestions on what I should do or how to help him, also is it normal for them to walk in circles while pooping I have noticed that he does that a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I would take him to the vet if he hasn't had a complete check up lately. My GSD had diarrhea no matter what food I put him on or how gradually we switched, so I started adding digestive enzymes (Prozyme) and probiotics. Those 2 additions to his meals cured the chronic diarrhea. He is 21 months old, weighs 79 lbs and eats 2 meals a day. I add the enzymes and probiotics to every meal.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
538 Posts
A vet visit is definitely in order. A few things off the top of my head that it could be is EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency) or SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth). Our GSD had chronic diarrhea from age of 3 - 10 months. He was tested for EPI, which he doesn't have but it did help us determine he had SIBO. He went on the antibiotic Tylan for close to 2 months and with the switch to homemade dog food, he doesn't have chronic digestive issues anymore.

Check out Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency for great information on EPI and SIBO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he went to the vet for his yearly checkup in march for all his shots and everything the vet didn't say anything about it but he also wasn't going as often as he is now thank you for the advice I will be scheduling him an appointment with our vet asap to see if we can get this figured and is it normal for him to walk around in a circle while he is going?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts