German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I began running with my 2 year old GSD Ella approx 7 weeks ago. We started the couch to 5K program together (for those of you who don't know it, you run three times a week, starting with running for 1 minute, walking for 1 minutes and slowly building up the amount of time that you run.) It is a 9 week program and we are on week 7 running 20-25 minutes three times a week. At my pace that takes us just over 2.5 miles. Ella has been doing great, I bought a waist leash and she runs right next to me at whatever pace I set. We have both been really enjoying it. Living in MA the weather has been brisk. Ella is in good shape, had a vet checkup a few weeks ago and we were told that her heart and lungs sound good, her weight is nice a lean for her body size. She eats well and has never had a problem with diarrhea. On the days we don't run we play outside and take a long walk in the woods. She has walk/hiked up to 5 miles with no difficulty.
What concerns me is the last few times we have run she has stopped 2 times per run and had some liquid diarrhea. She does not seem to be nervous or stressed, nor does she seem to be lagging behind or overheated. When we get home she is panting and gets a long drink (but so do I!!). She has all her other normal daily poops at the appropriate times and has no other episodes of diarrhea - not even soft poops.

Has anyone ever had this happen with your dogs? Do you think that it is behavioral thing? I am pondering taking her back to the vet but she never does it any time except for when we are running.....

Thanks for your time and opinions!!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
This is not abnormal. I also run with my dogs(well we wog, not a walk not a jog) and they will sometimes need to stop and have runny stool. When dogs get moving at a good pace it causes the digestive tract to kick into gear more than a walk. Same with people. Ever seen a marathoner poop their pants. It's all too common. Things get moving.

If she is acting fine and does not seem stressed, and it only happens in the run, I would not worry about it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 2 of 2 Posts