German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have almost a 7 month GSD now. Starting a couple of days ago, we were playing fetch for about 20-30 mins. Afterwards, I noticed she was drinking more water than normal.

Last night, she pooped or threw up in her crate. Before I put her to bed, I noticed she had a horrible stench to her (not a dog smell, but a lot worse). I thought maybe she stepped on poop in the backyard so I cleaned her paws. The smell didn't go away.

She's still eating her kibble (Kirkland adult food) about 3 cups a day. She has been having watery stool since yesterday.

I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow. Can this be a 'heat' related issue? She hasn't gone through heat yet and I've never seen her this way.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
The smell could be from an impacted anal gland, can happen when they have diahrea, not enough friction from solid stools to clean it out. Is she clean for parasites, etc? If she is having watery stools, you could stop with the food and give her boiled rice and a small amount of boiled chicken till you get her to the vet. Just speaking from my own experiences with liquid stools. Not a fun issue at all. Let us know how the vet visit goes. One immodium could help her control it for the night, but I would call the vet and ask if that is ok. Due to the watery stools, make sure she has enough water to prevent dehydration.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I gave Stosh Gatorade when he had giardia and diarrhea. He drank it for a day or two then stopped when he didn't need it anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is she clean for parasites, etc?
Yes she had a stool sample done last time she was at the vet (2 weeks ago) and everything came back negative.

you could stop with the food and give her boiled rice and a small amount of boiled chicken till you get her to the vet.
Should I wait 24 hours before I feed her again? I've read some threads and that's what some people are saying. My GSD is really food motivated...I can't imagine her going without food for 24 hours.

One immodium could help her control it for the night, but I would call the vet and ask if that is ok.
I have some of this stuff at home. I'll call my vet and ask.

I gave Stosh Gatorade when he had giardia and diarrhea. He drank it for a day or two then stopped when he didn't need it anymore.
Good idea. I'll give her some Gatorade tonight!

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
24 hours without food won't hurt her and might actually help decrease the diahrrea till you get her to the vet, as long as she has water and/or gatorade in her water, she will be fine for 24 hrs till she can go the vet. Please let me know how she does.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I only fast a dog for up to 12 hours after the last episode of diarrhea then put the dog on a bland diet for a couple of days until they have firm poo again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is your dog doing? Lisa
Sorry for the late reply. Got a bit busy.

She's great now. I am suspecting it might have been the wet food I gave along with her kibble. My trainer said she was a bit skinny and give her half a can of wet food with her meal every time I feed her. I noticed when I stopped the wet food, she didn't have the problem anymore.

I went to the vet also but she was fine by than. She got her last set of shots and can finally introduce her to other dogs now and take her to the dog park for socialization.

:hug:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts