German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 17 month old Gsp. She has had several bouts of diarrheA since yesterday. The last one has blood in it. I gave her rice last night and it seemed to slow down for a few hours, but then all night long I was up letting her out to go again. I have fed her some more rice a few minutes ago, but don't know what else to do rather then going to the vet. She is up to date on all her shots and had her whole series of Parvo, so I am not concerned about that. I just want to do whatever possible. Can you give a dog pepto bismol. Any suggestions would help thanks.
I am writing this with my phone so please excuse the errors.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
NO pepto. Not safe in some dogs

Activated Charcoal will help w/nausea and diarrhea - 2/260 mg. capsules, repeat if needed.

Slippery Elm capsules or tea

Do not feed, it is aggravating the issue. Give the gut a rest.

You can feed the starch water of *white* rice (do not use brown rice in GI issues). Use 2x the reg. water and cook 2x as long

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would take her for a vet check, take a stool sample if you can. THEY will be able to medicate properly.

When you see blood in the stool it isn't anything to mess around with.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
It could be Colitis but a lot of other things too. I would get her to the vet today, seriously. I would not feed anything else right now and offer water, no gulping. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Thank you for the replies. I have an appointment for 2:40 today. Hopefully something minor and just needs some meds for the diarrhea. My daughter thinks I am fretting over nothing but with everyone else saying vet too, it reinstated my feeling that it is better to find put nothing than not taking her and it be something and re:confused:gret it.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Could also be pancreatitis. The blood in the stool is what makes this so different and only a vet can test , diagnosis and treat the problem. The starchy water is a great thing and fasting does seems to calm the gut down. I tend to go to the vet quicker w/ puppies and seniors or if there is blood where there shouldnt be. Thinking good thoughts for you and your baby Chloe.
Sorry just read ypou latest post I somehow missed it. Still thinking good thoughts. Get well little Chloe.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine had the same thing, it was from straining to poop. Call the vet and explain the consistency and color of the blood and poop.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine had the same thing, it was from straining to poop. Call the vet and explain the consistency and color of the blood and poop.
Was yours anything serious. I am just really worried. I wish they had an earlier appointment then the one I got.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Was yours anything serious. I am just really worried. I wish they had an earlier appointment then the one I got.
Not at all. The vet wasn't concerned, but I was having anxiety attacks.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
When my old dog (shih tzu) would have those issues, it was pretty much always because he had eaten something he shouldn't have. He would get gastroenteritis and have to go with no food for 24 hours, then I fed him scrambled eggs or something easily digested for a day or so. Once or twice he had to have fluids as well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thank you for the replies. I have an appointment for 2:40 today. Hopefully something minor and just needs some meds for the diarrhea. My daughter thinks I am fretting over nothing but with everyone else saying vet too, it reinstated my feeling that it is better to find put nothing than not taking her and it be something and re:confused:gret it.
Hi there, it can be very worrying and scary when it happens first time but one thing you have be ready for with GSD's is that some can have a very sensitive digestive system and if he/she eats something he/she is not used to it can lead to gastroenteritis(irritation of the gi tract) and starts with very watery diarrhea and then very bloody diarrhea to straight up blood and it keeps going on if not treated (it can also happen from heat, stress...)! Usually if it gets to that point, no food for 24hrs and I try some plain brown rice and if that doesn't work I take my Matrix to the vet, which gives him a couple of shots (one anti-inflammatory and one anti-biotic) and he's back to normal after a few hours! If the doggie is still alert, energetic, drinks water and still wants to eat it is most likely just irritation of the tract! If vital signs are weak and notice he's lethargic and anything is out of the ordinary then something else might be the culprit and needs immediate attention!
Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

Sorry I did not give an update sooner on Chloe. I did take her to the vet and he gave her an injection to stop the diarrhea and to rest her intestines. He did a fecal test and it was negative. Took her home and kept her at rest for the entire day, with no food.

The following day she was very peppy again and very little diarrhea. The vet did not try to speculate why she had it just wanted to treat the symptoms.

The only thing I could think of was that we had emptied our above ground pool the day before and it had a greenish tint to it. It also had chemicals in the pool water. We are thinking that maybe she licked some of it up while the ground was still drying. Either that or it is very hot here in Arizona and this is her first real summer. We keep her inside unless to do her duties or play and then they come in. No more than about 10 to 15 minutes out during the day.

I am very glad she is better. Thank you all that commented and were concerned.:laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts