German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything I can feed my new pup to help lessen her diarrhea? I was once told Chicken and Rice but didn't know if there was any truth to that or not. Her stools were fine until last night we were both up all night dealing with her condition, I know it is more than likely her adjustment to the food, which I have made be a gradual event, but I felt so bad for her last night and was wondering if there was anything I could do to help her a bit.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
With a puppy, you need to be even more vigilant on this and go to the vet even earlier if you have any doubt what's going on. They will dehydrate and get seriously ill way before an adult dog with the same symptoms. And you have to be sure it IS just a bout of diahhrea and not some more serious illness.

If you are sure it's NOT some other illness, what can be done is...

If it's real diarrhea, like water and puppy is contantly going, then the most important thing is NO food for 24 hours, but leave the water bowl out.

You have to give the pup a chance to have it's system 'rest' by NOT adding more food to the upset and grinding stomach/intestines. Colitis and other problems will otherwise crop up.

The 'rule' seems to be, NO food for 24 hours after noticing a problem. Then when starting back up, boiled WHITE rice and boiled chicken (no skin), in a teen meal. If they seem to handle it fine, then another meal of the same 4 hours later and so on.

If you have any doubt, get to the vet while your pup IS still healthy and generally doing well. Otherwise, if you wait, by the time you start getting seriously worried it will be either the weekend or night and getting a vet will be harder, and it's harder to fix something that's gone on too long.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Personally, I'd take the puppy AND a stool sample in to the vet. When I got Kodee at 7 weeks old, he had runny diarrhea everytime he pooped. The breeder had just finished treating him for Giardia. He still had it, and we tried 2 more rounds of the same medication, and he'd get better, then about 2 days after he finished the meds, the diarrhea would come back. Finally I asked my vet to try a different med, and she prescribed a new one - bingo! No more diarrhea since (he's 13 months old now).

It could be a lot of things, but the first thing I'd do is take a stool sample in. Puppies don't have much reserves, and once they get sick, they can go downhill fast.

Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
By any chance did she have shots done where they wormed her in the last few days? Took my pup in for her shots and last worming and she had diarrhea for a couple days then was fine. Just figured I would throw that out to cover all angles. If its an ongoing problem follow others advice above.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it. I have a 3 yr old GSD and have forgotten what raising a pup is like. I took my pup, Rogue, to the vet this morning, and she has a clean bill of health! Nothing is wrong with her, just stress of a new place said the vet, they did a poo analysis for me as well. So while we were there we got her first set of shots as well. So I will look to see how that effects her later. Just wanted to let you all know she was well again, and the runs have stopped actually, so I guess it was just stress related.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts