German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
914 Posts
We went through weeks of loose stools, etc with our boy (5 months old now) and by doing the following we finally got cleared up! And yes he was teething (you often wonder if they are swallowing blood which does not help plus the pain and stress of teething)

Mind you his play, attitude appetite were all normal, just the dang loose stools and negative fecal tests for everything.

This is where we landed

Medications: Flagyl and a bismuth pill from vet (3 weeks worth).
Probiotic: Fortiflora

1. Give three even meals a day of the following: 2:1 ratio of TWICE COOKED white rice (make it mushy) and either boiled chicken or hamburger (lean cooked and strained) and one snack in evening of just pumpkin and probiotic. DO NOT OVERFEED AS THEY WILL GO RIGHT TO LOOSE

2. Put the meds in breakfast and dinner. Do not give at same time as probiotics

3. Put full packet probiotics in lunch (no other meds) and another full packet in a tablespoon of pumpkin around 7 or 8 pm.

4. Once we saw some firming we moved to a 3 ingredient food, in our case California Natural Puppy Lamb and Rice (tons of GSD puppy owners here turned to this brand) over a 12 day schedule evenly divided across the three meals. We started with only 1/4 cup per day divided across the three meals which was only like 10 kibble pieces per meal (very slow increase each day). Do not change food if you see slight softening. Constant change will send them right back to day one.

Anyway he has now had decent poop since Saturday....YAY!!!! As this has been the bane of our existence since October 24th.

· Registered
914 Posts
Yeah Carolina, you hit a home run with this one! I learned the hard way :blush:. I was concentrating so hard in giving her treats to "make her happy" going to the crate while I left to go to work that I didn't think about what I was doing to her poor little stomach :(
Agree also. Premium kibble never looks like enough and owners throw in too much. For example with the one we are using now only 2.25 cups A DAY is the correct amount for his weight and age. That is only 3/4 cup per meal and it looks like so little but it is not and treat to crate up or kennel up is only a finger full of lean burger cooked. He is gaining weight just fine now :)

· Registered
914 Posts
Could teething makes them have loose stools? Like kids, when they are teething they get a low grade fever?
Honestly dont know but I know that the loose stools really kicked it up when he started teething and now that we are getting closer to the end, he is firming up. Think of the blood teeth and pain. I might get loose too :)

· Registered
914 Posts
my pup went through the" dire rear" stages
at 3 or 4 months old. i switched foods, fed pumpkin, etc.
i think part of the diarrhea stage is caused by purebreditis.
3 or 4 months old is young and they're still adjusting.
when i gave my dog 100% ground beef i gave and give
it to him raw. when i cooked his ground beef he would eat it
but not with vigor. when i feed him raw ground beef he gobbles
it down.
Mine will eat rocks so he loves cooked. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.