German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I put my newly acquired (4 weeks ago) female puppy in doggie day care last week for socialization. She loves it! But Fruday she vomited at home, then got diarrhea. My husband's remedy was always first fast, then boiled rice and a little boiled hamburger. Also gave her two immodium Friday night and last night. She is acting better, but what if diarrhea continues? She eats her own food at day care (only will go there twice a week or so).
Could she have little immunity like when kids first start school? She cane from a rescue breeder's rural home and was only around a few dogs. We live in NYC so she is exposed to everything now.

When to take to Vet? How long can upset tummy last? Give immodium again today if stools still runny? We never took our older dog to a Vet for this, dog just got better. Worried!!!!:confused:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
did you take your dog to the Vet
when you first brought her home
even if you did i think you should go to the
Vet again. when you go take a urine
and stool sample with you. is it
ok to give a dog immodium?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Few possible solutions:
Make and appointment with the vet is she hasn't gone yet.
Hold off on the immodium for now, yes it works, but diarrhea is the body's natural way of expelling toxins or unwanted substances.
Also at day care ask them if they feed any extra treats, if so this may be the problem. (this causes problems for my guy every time we go to petsmart)
And the boiled rice and chicken/burger diet should help settle the stomach.
hope this helps some.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
If she's been in a rural area she might have picked up giardia- it's a parasite that lives in water contaminated by animal feces. My pups got it from drinking out of a puddle in our pasture. It definitely causes diarrhea and some vomiting, you'll have to take her to the vet to get it cleared up. It can be a nasty bug to get rid of so if she does have it, be sure to finish all the medication.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Definitely take her to the vet. If it is something bad you want to know asap. Being around a lot of dogs you never know who has what. Everything said previously is right also . Adding pumpkin puree to food will help her stools also.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Bring her to the vet and if he can't see her right away at least bring in a stool sample, probally a parasite that can be cleared up with antibiotics. The pumpkin worked great for us, not the canned stuff though, I roasted a whole pumpkin myself and pureed it, you can freeze little 2 oz. containers of the leftovers so that anytime she gets an upset tummy you have it to pull.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
How well do they clean up after dogs at daycare? Might have gotten into something. If it has been more than a day and she isn't better, definitely go to the vet.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I agree...take your dog to the vet just to rule out anything that might be serious (parasites or some kind of bad thing she might have gotten into).

Hope your dog feels better soon.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It is certainly possible that she caught a virus. Where any of the other dogs sick?

Do not give any more immodium. I never use immodium b/c it completely stops them up.

You can use slippery elm (an herb you can buy in powdered form) or pepto bismal or activated charcoal.

I would also add canned pumpkin into the mix.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Puppies get diarhea. Loose stools can take a week or two to totally get back to normal and may go up and down during. If you take em every time they get loose you could be a ping pong ball at the vet. GSD pups are hovers vacumning up everything!

Things like sleeping alot, blood in stool, lose of appetite, lose of desire to drink all require immeidate trip to vet to prevent dehydration in a puppy and are indicators more likely of virus and colitis which are harder to knock down

Can be a number of things from stess, to excitement to bacteria, etc. Viruses usually trip off temperature increases.

Get a fecal sample to vet to check for things (pup does not even need to go with you unless you are seeing symptoms other than just looseness).

Remember the three A's (attitude, appetite and activity). If your three A's are good the vet is not an emergency and you can use the bland diet while you wait for fecal results.

If vet prescibes and anitbiotic please be sure to balance with a probiotic as the antibiotic will kill good and bad flora and can just lead you down the string of meds for weeks.

With a 6 month old you can start with a 12 hour fast then go bland. Still give water.

Our pup is in daycare also and the newness does send him loose (or eating the errant peacock poo...dont ask) so we put him on a bland diet to repair.

We only use immodium sparingly (in fact I have only used it twice ever) and then only 1/2 of a pill for a 40 lb puppy of 5 months. Like everyone says it stops them up when diarheaa is getting things out. Pepto is a better choice. We break the tab in 1/2. Do the doseage according to weight.

This is our current mix for a tummy issue: 2 cups white rice, 1 cup chicken or hamburger (2 to 1 ratio rice to meat), 1-2 teaspoon of pumpkin, 1/4 teaspoon of a probiotic powder mixed in.

You can get stool firmer from vet if needed to help things along.

After a few days start adding back in dog food and reducing rice/meat ratioaccordingly.

If still loose consider things like allergies or try adding some grape seed extract which can help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you to everyone!!!
The diarrhea cleared up in around three days. I did collect a stool sample, because I know about parasites (first husband was a Dr, LOL), but thankfully the rice, boiled hamburger diet and the immodium worked.

I agree the immodium is controversial: vomiting and diarrhea are the body's way of expelling the "invader". And she was a little "stopped up" afterward. Pumpkin seems to be a universal!!!I guess I get canned pumpkin and give her some for future reference????Advice?

Absolutely would have gone to Vet if no improvement. Will schedule "well dog" visit with the vet so he will know the dog. My late husband was so anti-vet...macho man had macho approach to dogs!BTW, our older shepherd (mix, maybe? She was all shepherd except for ears!!!), never saw a vet, ate grass when she felt sick, was fed rice mixture, and always GARLIC!!!Bella eats garlic powder with every meal!

Anyway, she is pure bred, and yes, if she is sick for longer than the usual, will go to Vet!!!
Probiotics suggestion very good...antibiotics make me really sick. What kind of probiotics for a dog? I eat yoghurt. Dog probiotics? Advice?

To sum up, FANTASTIC FORUM!!!! Am on many forums for different groups, Veterans, P.I.s, etc., but this one is tops!!!thank you, thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you everyone for diarrhea advice!!

I posted a quick reply, but to everyone, you are the best!!! Your advice was so on target! Thankfully, rice and boiled hamburger (and controversial immodium) worked. Pumpkin (canned?) Will buy and keep on hand.
As for Vet, had stool sample, and if she had not improved, absolutely would have gone to Vet. Probiotics: which kind for a dog? I get sick from antibiotics and eat yoghurt. What do you give a dog?

Shepherds do eat grass and get upset tummys now and then...I also keep rice, boiled frozen hamburger (and chicken maybe?) And will get canned pumpkin. Immodium vs Pepto, or petmed stuff? Don't really know. She is almost 7 months and very big...maybe 2 immodium for 2 days was too much? Advice?

Bottom line: terrific forum! Am a forum veteran (am on Vietnam Veterans forums, P.I. Forums, etc.,) but this one is absolutely top shelf! You members really care! Kudos to all of you. Anyone I know who has a GSD, I would say, JOIN!!!!

Your caring and concern are remarkable, and you guys and gals are just the best!

Bella is better now. Will schedule well dog vet visit, continue to give garlic powder, and send her to doggie day care a couple times a week. If she ever seemed really sick, I would take her to the Vet, Parasites etc., are everywhere. Also send her own treats to day care, with her own food...but this is NYC...every street and park is a landmine of parasites and worms!!!
Thank you so much, everyone! I am so lucky I found this forum!!!

Next topic (different thread I guess) is she is so smart, I taught her German and English commands. I don't want "attack dog" schutzhund training, but drug and/or explosive devices, she would be a natural. She needs to be a working dog. She is so smart, it astounds me. Can I give her schutzhund training for detection work without the "attack" training? My sister-in-law who trained attack dogs is dead set against the "attack" training. I never knew my late husband (a cop and P.I.) Tool our former dog to K9 school, but would NEVER GIVE ME the attack command...because he said I would never need it. The dog would defend me with her life. And she did. Thoughts? Advice?
Bella is a good dog...but she is naturally very alert! I use German and English commands, and if she sees something or hears something she does not like, she goes naturally into "Pass Auf" mode. She "watches" everything. And she is still seven months old. Her bark is absolutely terrifying...when she barks, which is ONLY wheb she sees or senses something that puts her "on guard". With no "schutzen" training.
Any and all advice wellcome! BTW! I should keep pumpkin and pepto in the house,
Thank you again...what a fabtastic group!!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Puppies get diarhea. Loose stools can take a week or two to totally get back to normal and may go up and down during. If you take em every time they get loose you could be a ping pong ball at the vet. GSD pups are hovers vacumning up everything!

Things like sleeping alot, blood in stool, lose of appetite, lose of desire to drink all require immeidate trip to vet to prevent dehydration in a puppy and are indicators more likely of virus and colitis which are harder to knock down

Can be a number of things from stess, to excitement to bacteria, etc. Viruses usually trip off temperature increases.

Get a fecal sample to vet to check for things (pup does not even need to go with you unless you are seeing symptoms other than just looseness).

Remember the three A's (attitude, appetite and activity). If your three A's are good the vet is not an emergency and you can use the bland diet while you wait for fecal results.

If vet prescibes and anitbiotic please be sure to balance with a probiotic as the antibiotic will kill good and bad flora and can just lead you down the string of meds for weeks.

With a 6 month old you can start with a 12 hour fast then go bland. Still give water.

Our pup is in daycare also and the newness does send him loose (or eating the errant peacock poo...dont ask) so we put him on a bland diet to repair.

We only use immodium sparingly (in fact I have only used it twice ever) and then only 1/2 of a pill for a 40 lb puppy of 5 months. Like everyone says it stops them up when diarheaa is getting things out. Pepto is a better choice. We break the tab in 1/2. Do the doseage according to weight.

This is our current mix for a tummy issue: 2 cups white rice, 1 cup chicken or hamburger (2 to 1 ratio rice to meat), 1-2 teaspoon of pumpkin, 1/4 teaspoon of a probiotic powder mixed in.

You can get stool firmer from vet if needed to help things along.

After a few days start adding back in dog food and reducing rice/meat ratioaccordingly.

If still loose consider things like allergies or try adding some grape seed extract which can help.
This is great advice. Thank you for sharing. We're going through this right now with our 7 mo. old female with a combination of diarrhea/loose stools for the last three days and one episode of vomiting. Brought her to the vet and he prescribed her an antibiotic which I am holding off from giving her right now. I want to see how the rice/chicken combo works first.

·
Registered
936 Posts
This is great advice. Thank you for sharing. We're going through this right now with our 7 mo. old female with a combination of diarrhea/loose stools for the last three days and one episode of vomiting. Brought her to the vet and he prescribed her an antibiotic which I am holding off from giving her right now. I want to see how the rice/chicken combo works first.
One other thing which we found really works and was given to me in our 3 week battle with loose stools in our 5 month old

Separate the probiotic from the meal where you give antibiotics. Give the probiotic at a small lunch and evening snack with pumpkin on the snack. This helps keep the antibiotic from interfering and visa versa.

If it does not clear in a day or two use the antibiotics as things such as giardia or bacterial overgrowth are hard to diagnose.

fionally we have firm poo with our boy by separating the probiotics to their own time and using the antibiotics with a rice/hamburger, etc. We are on day three of adding back in dog food and all is going well!!!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Please don't give immodium. Very often diarrhea is the bodies way of expelling something it needs to get rid of. Immodium will interfere with that. It's also an mdr1 drug, so folks need to be careful with that in case their dog has the genetic mutation which makes it hard to process certain drugs.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
A quick reminder about Imodium (loperamide) ... it's one of the drugs that can adversely affect dogs carrying the mdr1 mutation (GSDs are one of the breeds that can carry this mutation).
"Loperamide (ImodiumTM; antidiarrheal agent). At doses used to treat diarrhea, this drug will cause neurological toxicity in dogs with the MDR1 mutation. This drug should be avoided in all dogs with the MDR1 mutation."
Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology Lab at the College of Veterinary Medicine

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Next topic (different thread I guess) is she is so smart, I taught her German and English commands. I don't want "attack dog" schutzhund training, but drug and/or explosive devices, she would be a natural. She needs to be a working dog. She is so smart, it astounds me. Can I give her schutzhund training for detection work without the "attack" training? My sister-in-law who trained attack dogs is dead set against the "attack" training. I never knew my late husband (a cop and P.I.) Tool our former dog to K9 school, but would NEVER GIVE ME the attack command...because he said I would never need it. The dog would defend me with her life. And she did. Thoughts? Advice?
Bella is a good dog...but she is naturally very alert! I use German and English commands, and if she sees something or hears something she does not like, she goes naturally into "Pass Auf" mode. She "watches" everything. And she is still seven months old. Her bark is absolutely terrifying...when she barks, which is ONLY wheb she sees or senses something that puts her "on guard". With no "schutzen" training.
!
You have asked a very diverse question. First of all, to do the scent work training, your best bet is to join a Schutzhund club. Our club allows members to only do the scent work or obedience if they choose. Second, Schutzhund training is not technically "attack" training. I'm not sure what type of training your sister in law did, but if it was via the military, then that is very different.
At only 7 months, your pup should still be acting like a pup. Getting really defensive at that age is most likely due to fear, not protectiveness and needs to be addressed so as not to turn into a fear/aggression issue. Getting some confidence through training would be where I would start. A good Schutzhund trainer is all about building up the pup at that age and teaching it to work with you as a team for fun. The dog will learn appropriate use of it's mouth and you will learn to read and control your dog in a variety of situations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts