German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Totally a dumb move by me, I know better. I changed his kibble on Saturday and he has had bad diarrhea since. I have been giving him boiled chicken and rice, but today he is not interested in it. Hasn't eaten all day. He won't even eat a favorite treat.

I'll call the vet soon if I need to. Anything else I can do?

Poor guy, he’s trying to bury his raw chicken for later. He usually goes bonkers for it.

·
Super Moderator
7,271 Posts
Just lots of water for 24 hours to keep him hydrated.Then try the boiled chicken and rice again.A little canned pumpkin(not pie filling) may help.My dogs hate pumpkin but chunks of whole wheat bread helps with getting the fiber they need,added into the rice mixture.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh no! Poor guy. I'm so sorry. That chicken picture is so sad.
Did you have any of his old kibble to do an incremental change?
Hey, I know, so sad, ears back too. I did have plenty left, I was just an idiot, thinking of course this premium expensive kibble will sit well with him. Wonder if the grain free thing has anything to do with it. Wonder if they can be allergic to grain free?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fast him for 24 hours. Give him rice (boiled with 2x the water) and lean meat. I like to add a little pumpkin and ginger in as well.
Just lots of water for 24 hours to keep him hydrated.Then try the boiled chicken and rice again.A little canned pumpkin(not pie filling) may help.My dogs hate pumpkin but chunks of whole wheat bread helps with getting the fiber they need,added into the rice mixture.
Thank you, I will try this. He's kind of fasting himself.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wonder if the grain free thing has anything to do with it. Wonder if they can be allergic to grain free?
I would think grain free would be better for most allergies, so less likely to cause an allergic reaction. But you never know. There's always a chance he's sensitive to lentils or something but if it was a fast change, I would think it's the change before allergies.

I agree with the others that I would worry about water intake at this point. He might not eat yet if his tummy is upset but he needs water. Has he discovered the coolness of ice yet? I would think that would help if he's not eating the twice cooked rice.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why is he getting raw chicken? Are u giving kibble and raw?
Yes

I would think grain free would be better for most allergies, so less likely to cause an allergic reaction. But you never know. There's always a chance he's sensitive to lentils or something but if it was a fast change, I would think it's the change before allergies.

I agree with the others that I would worry about water intake at this point. He might not eat yet if his tummy is upset but he needs water. Has he discovered the coolness of ice yet? I would think that would help if he's not eating the twice cooked rice.
Thanks, that's what I thought on grain too. No worries on water, he is gobbling it down including getting us up in the middle of the night for it during this period. Totally irresponsible on my part, like I said, I know better.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Raw and kibble should never be mixed together best to feed one or other each feeding. Hope he gets better.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Fast 24 hours then start feeding very small meals of cooked chicken and well cooked rice several times a day. I mean SMALL. Like a Tablespoon or two at a time every 2-3 hours. You can add plain canned pumpkin too if he will eat it and a good probiotic.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
A lot of people mix raw and kibble and have no issues.

I would be more concerned about him not eating now as diarrhea due to just a food change should not cause a lack of appetite.

He looks miserable in that last picture. I would think about getting him checked out.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A lot of people mix raw and kibble and have no issues.

I would be more concerned about him not eating now as diarrhea due to just a food change should not cause a lack of appetite.

He looks miserable in that last picture. I would think about getting him checked out.

Yeah, you’re right. He did eat his breakfast this morning which was chicken and rice. But he went to half day daycare and they said he wasn’t interested in his lunch which was kibble. Girlfriend picked him up and he wouldn’t eat raw or his favorite treat which has me concerned.

I’ll check him out when I get home. He’s been a cuddle bug. You’re right, he looks miserable.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I wouldn't worry about mixing kibble and raw. Everything we eat digests at different rates.

Do you have any slippery elm? if so, give him one capsule. It will help coat his stomach.

Be sure he does not have an obstruction or anything else that might be causing the diarrhea.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I don’t you so cant give credit lol. Raw is digested differently then kibble hence why it’s recommended not to mix but feed in 2 diff meals, but hey you don’t me either can’t can’t take credit

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wouldn't worry about mixing kibble and raw. Everything we eat digests at different rates.

Do you have any slippery elm? if so, give him one capsule. It will help coat his stomach.

Be sure he does not have an obstruction or anything else that might be causing the diarrhea.

I don’t have that but I’ll get some once I figure out what it is. I don’t think there’s an obstruction. Too coincidental with the kibble change.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
slippery elm is made from the bark of the elm tree. You can get it at any health food store. I think I've seen it at Wegmans. You give it about 45 minutes before the meal and it will coat the stomach to help with discomfort. I took it when I was on 30 days abx.

·
Registered
652 Posts
slippery elm is made from the bark of the elm tree. You can get it at any health food store. I think I've seen it at Wegmans. You give it about 45 minutes before the meal and it will coat the stomach to help with discomfort. I took it when I was on 30 days abx.
I tried some of this for my pup but gave it with the meal (mixed into the meal). Didn't know you were supposed to feed it beforehand....do dogs generally go for it by itself, or do you mix it with something?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts