German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Zelda since May 01. And when i got her she had some loose stools. I figured it was the stress of a new home and i was slowly switching her food from Purina (what previous owner was feeding) to Healthwise and thought perhaps she has a sensitive stomach.
And later on she would have explosive, liquid/watery diarrhea.. She even had it two times in her crate.. And i felt so bad. So i gave her EN for a while to help. And it sort of helped? But she would still once in a while have a diarrhea day or two per week.
I had a fecal go into Vet, they said it was negative. I gave her one dose of strongid anyways, because of being sure.
And than I did another fecal, to be sure. And it still came out negative.
I gave her some fortiflora starting on Friday night. And i should probably try for a few more days on that. But it doesnt seem to be helping.
I am currently switching her food from healthwise to Blue Buffalo(again! I feel bad! But i love Blue buffalo and with all the recalls from Healthwise i just dont want to be using it anymore) I am doing baby steps with this food change.. I started with 90/10 (90% healthwise and 10% blue buffalo) and im at about 80/20 right now and its been half a week. I also add EN to this to ensure its easier on the stomach.

Now some suggestions i've had from people are:

_ Heat (not only puppies, but especially GSD's can overheat)
_ Food
_ Separation anxiety
_ Or that it could be something very serious such as intestinal problems..

I am very worried. And feel so bad for her when she is having diarrhea. She even grunts sometimes while she crouches down for minutes at time trying to poop nothing but liquid! Poor kid.. :( It breaks my heart.. And I get soooo excited when i see a firm perfect formed poop from her and i want to see those more often than not!

Do you guys know of any herbals or something i could add to her food to help make her stools firm?

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
First thing is if it's really wet and squirting/pouring out of her you need to STOP FEEDING HER COMPLETELY so her innards can rest. Or you'll end up with colitis and more expensive vet visits.

You can also use Pepto or Immodium to help her STOP feeling like she has to go.

Then you only GRADUALLY start up food again and NOT with dog food. Usually a very bland chicken or hamburger and white rice only in SMALL meals as the dog can handle it.

Vet Advice: Treating Your Dog's Diarrhea | The Bark <-- Great info

I know I have problems fairly frequently with my GSD's they do seem to have delicate stomachs. Can be stress. Can be something they eat. I can't leave my dogs alone in the yard of they get into stuff enough to cause problems.

BTW, it seems like if (after the 24 hours is over) I add some yogert to their food that helps too. THis site recommends it too:

http://voices.yahoo.com/natural-remedies-dog-diarrhea-4114169.html

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I've read that a lot of GSDs and dogs have loose stools on Blue. I love Blue too but my pups always had loose stools on it.

I agree with not feeding her until her stomach is clear then starting again slowly...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys! I will defiantly look at that website and see if it will help her.
I have done a 24 hour fast with her a few times after having the liquid diarrhea and than moving to EN after the fast. I have done a 48 hour fast.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
RE: the fecal, did the vet test for both coccidia and giardia? They are two different tests. Most do not do the giardia tests unless there is an issue and worms/coccidia are negative. If he/she hasn't I would request one and have them send it to lab.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats a good brand of food that is around $60 per 30 pound dog food?
I love BB, but i will understand if that is not good for her and i will switch.
My sister has her dog on taste of the wild but it made her have loose stools.. So im a bit worried about doing that.
To me.. if it would keep her healthy and not have diarrhea i would buy Orijen even though its about $80 for 28 pound bag!
But if there is another brand that would work that is less expensive that would be my best option.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If she isn't tolerating Blue then chances are she wouldn't Orijen either, many gsd's have the same problem with it (that's not to say some do just fine with it). There are many opinions on dogfood and it really should be based on how your dog does on it. If you find one that he does well on stick with it. I like Earthborn and have used Fromm some as well.

Did you specifically test for giardia?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah ok.. I will give B.B. a week or so to see if its that, which is not helping her diarhea problem.
I will call the vet tomorrow to see if they had tested for giarda and coccidiso, i assumed they did on the second test, but i might be wrong!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes, I would first make sure your vet tested for giardia and rule that out. Next I would fast and do the chicken/rice routine. Malachi had diarrhea with BB. I added some plain canned pumpkin, too which helps to firm up the stool. Also, remember that fortiflora or any probiotic takes time to build up in the system, just like with a person. It takes a couple weeks to build good bacteria back up to an optimum level-especially after diarrhea and/or intestinal/gut issues. I'm sure others will have some good advice, but I would start there...I hope Zelda is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Our GSD pup had chronic diarrhea from the age of 3 – 10 months old. We ran so many fecal tests I lost count and they always came back fine. We saw some improvement on the Medi-Cal Gastrointestinal canned food from vet, but that was expensive to feed at $75/week. After exhausting all regular testing we finally ran the tests necessary to see if he had EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency). The tests indicated he didn’t have EPI, but with the help of Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency website and forum, we were able to determine that he had SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth). We had him on the antibiotic Tylan for 2 months (slowly weaning him off of it) and he was a lot better. We have since consulted with a canine nutritionist, we made our own home made cooked dog food and all if his digestive and allergy issues are gone now.

Just offering advice based on what we went through with our pup. EPI and SIBO can be something you discuss with your vet once you’ve exhausted all other testing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Get some vetasyl it is the only thing I have had great success with in getting solid stools when necessary. It works in less than a day and it is all natural so no side effects. My holistic vet recommends it highly and even though it says stool softener it just makes their stool as it should be not watery, not soft, not hard. You can get it from 1800petmeds

1 - 12 of 12 Posts