German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if you guys have encountered the same issue.

When I walk my dog, his first poop is usually nice and firm. Then he'll chase balls, swim, play with other dogs...and "go" a couple more times, and it'll be diarrhea, sometimes with a loud explosive noise.

Happens daily...

His morning poop is fine.
Evening is when we go out for walk and this happens. Pumpkin doesn't help, food changes don't help.

Is it a function of exercise? Am I exercising him too much? (2 hrs out a day, 1 hour of vigorous play, 1 hour more sedate usually). He also does drink a lot of the crappy pond water but I can't stop him, it's very hot here.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
It is normal. When a dog, or person for that matter start excersising vigorously, the bowels start moving. I think it's the parasympathetic nervous system.

Ever seen a pic of a marathoner that pooped their pants. Things get moving.

Keep your dog hydrated. Monitor. But don't worry too much.

All of my dogs do this.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, you set my mind at ease.

This does makes it almost impossible to pick up the poop though....and none of the other dogs seem to diarrhea. Weird right?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Mine do this too. Never really worried me too much. If it's an intense workout, they'll have runny poop during it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Dexter has soft poop after running around at the dog park it's quite embarrassing and we always need two poop bags lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts