German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I misspelt the title but he has been drinking a lot of water the past 4 days and when I say a lot I mean he has been drinking about 2.5 times what he normally does. Then I just now took him out and he had diarrhea. Since yesterday for lunch hes eating Orijen LBP food since my supply store messed up my order and has no other form of LBP food I wasn't able to slowly ween him into it. I believe that might explain the Diarrhea but I am still nervous, does drinking lots of water and diarrhea signify any type of common puppy sickness or am I just over reacting?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Orijen is excellent food but it's high protein and high fat and could certainly be causing the problem. I would recommend putting him on a bland diet of overcooked rice (cook twice as long with twice as much water) and boiled chicken breast. I would give him that exclusively until the diarrhea clears up and then slowly transition him to the Orijen.

If he does not get better quickly on the bland diet then I would take him into the vet. Puppies can get very sick, very quickly.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
the quick switch of food might have something
to do with the dire rear (i couldn't spell it the correct way).
i've switched my dogs food without doing the gradual
switch and he was fine. maybe you should go to the
Vet. take a urine and stool sample with you.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Could be a parasite like giardia or worms. Giardia comes from drinking water that's been contaminated by animal feces- my puppy got it by drinking out of a puddle in our pasture. But the food is most likely the cause. See if he'll drink Gatorade so he doesn't get dehydrated.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Most here have way more to offer on the subject of GSD's, but the runs and dog food.. I think you are on the right track.. it is the food, and for the water, yes, the more the pup has the runs, the more water the pup is going to drink..

Good Luck, I have spent plenty of money on stool samples to find out it was just the food he was on.. He is worth it, dont get me wrong, but it could have gone towards a toy or two instead.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts