German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had experience with this brand that could lend some advice? The two highest quality brands that I can buy in my area (middle of nowhere North Dakota) are Nutro Natural Choice and Diamond Naturals. I have fed both to my border collie but prefer the Diamond Naturals with him and am considering putting my GSD on it also. I do not want to seem greedy or like my dog's health does not come first, but I can buy the Diamond cheaper and I have never really noticed much of a difference in the two brands other than the NNC gave my border collie loose stools and a terrible coat.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've been using Diamond Naturals for at lest 3 yrs now. Some will avoid it because Diamond had a recall on another brand it makes (and they make quite a few), but so many foods have been recalled at one point or another.

I tried Nutro for a few months and my guy actually lost weight. He had loose stools (both of them), so I'm bad on the Diamond and will probably never switch again.

I can't beat no corn or by products at that price. I actually read the bags, and found that one of the "higher quality" foods I was considering actually had corn gluten in it. I can get 40 for $25 or less, no corn or by products and natural preservatives, then I'm happy.

·
Registered
203 Posts
We are feeding our dogs the Naturals rice and chicken. So far they look good and love the taste. We were feeding Canidae, but the cost factor became a issue. We have 5 dogs and we were spending $90 a month on food. Also we were having to drive a great distance to get the food. With gas over $4.00 a gallon we had to choose another way. We can get the Diamond stuff locally and so far we've had good luck.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I too have changed from CANIDAE to Diamond Naturals. My 3 yr old loves it and looks great. I see no difference from the CANIDAE.
I guess you don't have a COSTCO near by either. The Kirkland Chicken/Rice formula is excellent food for the price.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Originally Posted By: MikeB06I too have changed from CANIDAE to Diamond Naturals. My 3 yr old loves it and looks great. I see no difference from the CANIDAE.
I guess you don't have a COSTCO near by either. The Kirkland Chicken/Rice formula is excellent food for the price.
We do have a COSTCO that's pretty close by.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We do not have a COSTCO anywhere near here. I have to drive 35 miles just to get the Diamond (although that is even the closest grocery store to here so while I am in town I can just pick up dog food) and I buy it at Runnings Farm & Fleet. It is nice hearing from people who feed it so thank you very much for your input. I think I'll pick up a bag the next time I am in town and switch him over to it.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I've used Diamonds Naturals, and I think it's a great product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts