German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
You know, dogs evolved to be scavengers which means their bodies work well to derive nutrition out of whatever comes their way.
That said, I prefer avoiding corn, wheat, soy and by-products. Kirkland Signature, and Diamond Naturals don't use any of that.

We recommend avoiding those (to out adopters) and if they do that, I'm happy.
You can go overboard with "highest quality food" recommendations but if people are struggling to feed themselves a good diet, and put fuel in the tank I'm not going to knock them for feeding DN or 4health or whatever.

And there reason I say that is not a lot of cost difference between some of those and some Purina products.

I just happen to get some burger today for a buck off. A pound and a half was 2.98. I made 4 baggies worth, froze 3, and he has enough for treats today and tomorrow, out of one baggie. Tony eats it raw, his eyes get as big as softballs, watching me getting it ready.
I'm sorry, but when I wait to buy ground hamburger for ourselves to eat because it's too expensive to buy except on sale, I'm not going to feed it to my dogs.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I disagree, the best dog food for your dog is the one with the least fillers and crap in it and the most meat and the best ingredients that your dog tolerates. But in a lot of case's $$$$$$ is a HUGE issue. Some dogs do good on Beneful, mine got a tumor from that crap and I had to put him down because of it. Dog food kibble does make a difference in your dogs life.

The Dog Food Project - Ingredients to avoid

The Dog Food Project - Grading kibble - easily?

It's funny because I disagree with her take on beef.
funny. i would have thought that people who come to this and other dog forums would already have ruled out the "junk" supermarket foods and were trying to decide which "upper" tier food to use. guess i will have to rethink this.

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
Yeah, beef is too expensive for me to buy for me, LOL. I ONLY buy it on sale, and really rarely at that. And I like beef. But I have seen a LOT of people feeding Diamond Naturals, and really haven't noticed anyone having problems with it. Hmmm, the same cannot be said of Orijen.

I think that you can do all the research and find the absolute best kibble out there, and your dog just might not tolerate or like it. Then what? Right now I am happy with Diamond Naturals so I will stick with it until something changes. then I will do something different. For now, we are doing great on it, that is ALL of my girls. You just don't mess with that.

Reactions: Grubby

·
Registered
184 Posts
I got some more samples of this stuff and my dogs like it. I'm set on switching to this being that it's decent and more affordable.. does anyone know if there's anything else out there that's similar to this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is a good food at a good price, but it is not grain free. Rice is a grain and so is barley.
My German Shepherd's Gunner and Mya both love the grain free salmon recipe from Diamond Naturals! They love it and never have had any issues with it! Diamond Naturals has been the only food I trust with my Shepherd's

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking of switching Zeus/Zoey from Iams to Diamond Naturals today. From what I've read, it seems like a good dog food and much better than Iams. Anyone here feed there dogs this dog food?
You won't be disappointed! Never had a single issue with any of my German Shepherd's! You're getting a really high quality dog food at a great price! Top shelf!

·
Registered
32,062 Posts
I went from DN to Earthborn Holistic for a few years. Then EH changed their formulas. So I rushed around like a nut trying to find something that had the proper calcium to phosphorous ratios and protein to fat ratios, for puppies and adults. I am back to DN. So far, so good.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts