German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of switching Zeus/Zoey from Iams to Diamond Naturals today. From what I've read, it seems like a good dog food and much better than Iams. Anyone here feed there dogs this dog food?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use orijen,But anything is better then Iams

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use diamond naturals chicken and rice and my dogs love it. Perfect amount of protein and grain free. Price is also better then any other grain free foods.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
It is a good food at a good price, but it is not grain free. Rice is a grain and so is barley.

·
Registered
381 Posts
they advertise they're food is wheat free but they're food
contains ground wheat.

list
I don't see any wheat in the ingredients. What makes you think it has ground wheat?

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, dried plain beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so I shopped around today and decided to get Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula for puppies. Tractor Supply has the 30 lb bags for $51 which beats both Petsmart and Petco. I also picked up some Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Bison treats which the two dogs go crazy for. Now I'm assured my dogs are getting the proper nutrition there body's require without all that crap in it. I'm sure on the bag of Iams there's an ingredient listed "meat" lol! God knows what that is!

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
Iams is as bad as it gets and the price is a joke. Blue, would be your best bet out of those 3.. I feed Orijen and once in a great while Horizon Legacy, so I have no experience with any of these 3. I just don't like the ingredient list of any of them. I would recommend adding fresh meat with every meal...

Diamond Naturals Dog Food | Review and Rating

Iams Naturals Dog Food | Review and Rating

Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dry Dog Food | Review and Rating

I give Tony little raw balls of ground beef for treats. He goes nuts for them and if you check out the prices the real meat is cheaper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iams is as bad as it gets and the price is a joke. Blue, would be your best bet out of those 3.. I feed Orijen and once in a great while Horizon Legacy, so I have no experience with any of these 3. I just don't like the ingredient list of any of them. I would recommend adding fresh meat with every meal...

Diamond Naturals Dog Food | Review and Rating

Iams Naturals Dog Food | Review and Rating

Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dry Dog Food | Review and Rating

I give Tony little raw balls of ground beef for treats. He goes nuts for them and if you check out the prices the real meat is cheaper.
Would you recommend raw venison? I've been feeding it to Zeus since he was about 3 months and every once in a while he gets a can of salmon.

One thing I've read about in the reviews for Blue Buffalo is a lot of dogs tend to get loose stools and poop more frequently. I plan on feeding Zeus, starting tomorrow, 2 cups 2 times a day. One in the morning around 8 and then 5 in the afternoon. For Zoey, 3 cups a day. One cup at 8, 1, and 5.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
We are feeding Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete, and the dogs are doing really good on it.
We have not had any problems with the food, and recommend it to those who need to keep weight on their dogs that are "active"....FWIW.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
We've fed DN Extreme Athlete, too, and dogs did fine on it. Right now, Kirkland's a better deal for us.
It's equivalent to Diamond NATURALS (not plain Diamond).

·
Registered
381 Posts
We feed Premium Edge or 4Health, which are both made by Diamond and are very similar to Diamond Naturals. The vet said Lila looked great and asked us what we fed her.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sure enough my puppy had maybe a 1/2 cup of Blue and already she's having some soft stools and frequent too. It's probably because I didn't mix the food but I was just curious to see if she likes it. Zeus had a 1/2 cup as well and has some wicked gas. Tomorrow morning I'm going to mix the food 3 parts Iams and 1 part Blue to see what's up.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
I just happen to get some burger today for a buck off. A pound and a half was 2.98. I made 4 baggies worth, froze 3, and he has enough for treats today and tomorrow, out of one baggie. Tony eats it raw, his eyes get as big as softballs, watching me getting it ready.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I feed Diamond Naturals. My dogs do very well on it. It has decent ingredients, and it is much more reasonable in price than foods that have crappier ingredients like Nutro and Pro-plan.

I have checked out the prices, and real meat is certainly not cheaper than dog food. May be cheaper than that Orijen your feeding 3toes, but it isn't cheaper than what I am feeding.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
I feed Diamond Naturals. My dogs do very well on it. It has decent ingredients, and it is much more reasonable in price than foods that have crappier ingredients like Nutro and Pro-plan.

I have checked out the prices, and real meat is certainly not cheaper than dog food. May be cheaper than that Orijen your feeding 3toes, but it isn't cheaper than what I am feeding.

You said it, CHEAPER, or decent.... Price isn't a factor in the kibble I feed, if I thought Diamond Naturals was the best kibble out there, then that would be what I would feed. Annnnd, if you did some research, you would find that you can get burger for a lot less than ANY dog treats out there and it is WAY better for them.

·
Banned
1,011 Posts
imho, the best food is the one your dog will eat and tolerate without any side effects.
I disagree, the best dog food for your dog is the one with the least fillers and crap in it and the most meat and the best ingredients that your dog tolerates. But in a lot of case's $$$$$$ is a HUGE issue. Some dogs do good on Beneful, mine got a tumor from that crap and I had to put him down because of it. Dog food kibble does make a difference in your dogs life.

The Dog Food Project - Ingredients to avoid

The Dog Food Project - Grading kibble - easily?

It's funny because I disagree with her take on beef.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts