German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you following/read the previous posts on Zoe.
We have answers from the CT scan with the mass on her neck/jaw being an abscess with infected tissue and fluid. Most indicators are that it is a foreign body that possibly got stuck through her mouth while chewing on something.
Undergoing surgery right now to drain and cleanup the area, will be on abx and anti-inflammatory meds for a couple weeks. She still had a very high fever but vet was talking about her coming home tomorrow, they want to keep her a little longer to make sure her temp comes down to normal.
It's been a tough week but feeling relieved to have found some answers and can't wait to bring her home!

Now I'm paranoid about not letting her chew anything anymore.. urgh what are some safe chewing toys that I could get her?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Glad to hear you have some answers to this health problem. It has been quite the medical mystery! Sending positive thoughts for a smooth recovery for your girl and less anxiety for you.
Could she have been chewing on a stick or some foreign object outside?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wow, glad to hear you figured out the problem and can treat it. I think she'll likely feel much better within about 48 hours.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Oh boy so glad you got some answers and thanks for sharing your story! Sounds like she is on the mend. Chewing sticks and getting them stuck can cause an abscess also just to be aware.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I linked this thread to your first one in case others asking about her miss this. I wish her well with a good outcome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to hear you have some answers to this health problem. It has been quite the medical mystery! Sending positive thoughts for a smooth recovery for your girl and less anxiety for you.
Could she have been chewing on a stick or some foreign object outside?
Most likely that was the problem

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm glad they found the likely cause! Having a dog that young with such severe symptoms would have kept me up at night. Sending positive thoughts your way in hopes she gets to come home today! :smile2:

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
positive vibes and best wishes for a speedy recovery!!!

·
Registered
16,186 Posts
I'm glad you've found what the problem is and that she's being taken care of. May her recovery be swift.

As for things to chew --- the current favorite here (my favorite, I pay!) is beef trachea. They don't last long - maybe 5 minutes for a 4 to 6 incher, but they are crunchy and chewy and seemingly safe. The dogs do eat them. I recently tried marrow bones with supervision. I retrieved those in a few minutes when the flat one was being destroyed. It's hard to find something that's both safe and long lasting.

·
Registered
770 Posts
So good to hear that the source of the problem was found and that a solution is being worked on. I hope all goes well and that your pup will be happy and healthy very soon.

Thanks for keeping us informed and let us know how things are going today. I'm counting on very good news and a fast recovery.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Oh no, I don't mean right now. I mean after she gets better. I'm paranoid as to what toys/bones i'll let her chew on..
Icelandic Lamb Horns (smell terrible but they love them and last a little longer than most chews).
Benebone (just make sure it's not the figure 8 looking one. Dogs have gotten their jaws stuck)

Treats
Bully sticks (don't last long)
Raw Lamb necks - they will eat the hole thing and it doesn't last long.
Beef Tracheas - I get mine from the butcher so they get them frozen raw or sometimes I dry them in the oven.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Sasha LOVES her raw turkey necks. We get them from the butcher as well (so much cheaper)... and it doesn't last long but she loves crunching on them!

·
Registered
770 Posts
How did the surgery go? Any further updates?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you guys for all the suggestions on the safe chewing.

Surgery went well, she's been on abx and anti-inflammatory meds for almost 2 weeks now and went to get her stiches out this morning. Doc wants another round of abx cause there seems to be a very small lump (thought to be inflamed tissue) still hanging around the area.
The first couple of days were rough.. she had a drain in the area, was kind of messy and it's never fun dealing with the stupid cone but fast forward 10 days later she is back to her normal happy self! Devouring food and full of energy! So happy so see my girl back to crazy puppy again!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Great news! So happy for the update, thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts