German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Because of a long story I was in Santiago with both dogs when our team received a call to search a lost Argentinian man lost in the mountains of Cochiguaz, about 500 km from -Santiago in the north of Chile, after going to a walk that wasn't suppossed to take more than 2 hours.

We arrived Tuesday night, 3 canine teams, 3 back-up volunteers and a coordinator and supported the search efforts from Wednesday to Sunday, with the exception of Friday, when we gave the dogs a rest, specially because the volcanic terrain hurt even the toughest paws and took the day to move our camp closer to the search site.

The terrain was very abrupt and the places where the dogs teams had access and could actually work were limited, so we talked to the IC and the family and decided to return, even when the young man is still missing. Police and mountain teams are still looking on the cliffs and crevices with ropes, if the person decided to keep climbing beyond the original area and there is even a chance he actually returned to camp, but something happened after...

Some pictures

Checking paws

About 10,500 feet above sea.

My two girls. Auka, who I started training and left with the team when I moved, who keeps working with another handler and Diabla.

More pictures here: http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/catu2111/K-SAR Chile/Busqueda Cochiguaz/?start=all

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Wow - great job to everyone involved...

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
That is some seriously rough terrain, wow!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Awesome! Diabla looks like a trooper climbing those rocks!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first picture is quite impressive, but obviously we were not searching there, only salving the obstacle to be able to return to camp for a place safer than the ravine we searched up. Diabla is more concerned about where she puts her feet than about scenting anything there... as we did :)

Diabla worked very good, specially on the riverbanks, where the denser vegetation are more like the forest we are more used to work on. The first day her white nail (yes, pigmentation IS important) broke and after it she needed a boot to work more comfortable. We are both a bit stiff yet, but nothing than oversleeping doesn't fix :D

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nop, no helo, everything on foot for us. :crazy: That is why we had to move the camp and headquarters up the second day. I know helos with FLIR overfled the mountain the first days and our team has a FLIR camera that was used by the land teams.

Unless the son a senator is missing it's very rare you'll get air support, and the reason I always insist that the dogs need to be trained to work not only from the car or crate to the search area, but even after hours of hiking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts