German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up our newest foster girl, Nikki on Saturday. She is a 10.5 year old GSD/mix that was dumped by her family in GA and made her way to MN. (Her GA family couldn't afford to care for her any longer)
She's been in a few foster homes and even adopted once, but returned for excessive urination. She came to us from a boarding facility because there were no fosters available to deal with her problem.
The rescue vet is pretty sure she is suffering from Diabletes Insupidus. She will drink every ounce of water made available and it seems to run right through her. She is not concentrating urine at all. I know that they drew blood samples on Saturday, but not all the results are back yet.
We took her on because we were between fosters and, being retired, I'm home to help manage her frequent urination. Since she's been here, I've been able to get her out of her diaper (most of the time) and "time" her intake of water vs. when she has to go out to potty. (She is AWESOME at letting us know when she has to go out)

Nikki may just be the sweetest dog we've ever fostered. Gets along great with the other 4 dogs, great house manners, good with kids and cats.

Sorry being long winded, but any tips from people experienced with this disease would be great.
She just started Proin, 50mg/3 times per day for now and there is talk of getting her on some eye drops (can't remember what they're called) depending on blood test results.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Aw, she looks like our Scarlett. I could not imagine letting her go. Sounds like you are taking wonderful care of Nikki and she appears to appreciate your care.

I hope you can get her condition under control.

Scarlett is on Lacrimor drops twice a day for Pannus. It's done wonders and kept her eyes looking SO much better.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I had a senior that probably had diabetes insipidus in addition to many other health problems. He was the craziest and funniest dog ever, it turned out he was a retired police dog from Michigan. He would open faucets while I was at work so I had to shut the water off in the house before I left. I kept him in the part of the house that was easy to clean. He adored me and I loved him, I did not mind cleaning up (I do work away from home). I lost him after a year to cancer.

Now my old guy lost use of his rear end and I manage him with diapers. It works well.

Thank you for taking in this girl, she sounds lovely.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
In people they need access to water at all times so as not to dehydrate. There is a medication that makes up for the missing anti diuretic hormone.

From what I understand the medication works great but then you have to carefully control water intake or it can cause hyponatremia or hypernatremia.

Too little or too much sodium which can be dangerous.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Poor girl, I look at her and think so that's what Lakota's gonna look like when she grows old.
I always worry about affording to care for my dogs, I would rather die than dump my dog. I hope you can get her issues under control so she can live out her days with some love.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The signs of diabetes are: increased thirst, weight loss, frequent urination, lethargy, dehydration and others. Diabetes can be diagnosed by a blood test that measures your dog’s blood glucose level. Your vet will also want to know other information about your dog’s clinical signs and to do a urinalysis.
Diabetes in dogs. Symptoms and treatment

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Thank you for helping nikki. She is a beaituiful girl. No advice just wanted to say thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts