German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, saved might be too strong of a word. He “alerted” me to a snake and stood guard until reinforcements arrived. ❤

I was sitting on my couch on Saturday watching the weather channel for hurricane coverage. Because, apparently, that is what you do in Florida during the summer time. I swear I’ve aged 20 years since being down here...but I digress.

I noticed Dexter staring hard at something in the kitchen. You know when your dog notices a spider or something that moves on a wall and they get all alerty? That’s what he did.

My heart sank. I knew it was either a gecko or a snake because...it’s Florida. I slowly made my way to the kitchen and see half a snake peeking out from under my stove. Dexter isn’t approaching but he’s not backing up, either. He’s fixated because he doesn’t know what it is or what to do. Great. Fourth snake in 2.5 years in this house. I put in a 911 call in to my sister because she has a friend who’s not afraid of snakes and saved me from my last snake.

Before they get here, the snake went behind the wall and came out from under my fridge. I stomped really hard and it went back under the fridge. They move away from vibrations. #ThingsIHaveLearnedSinceLivingInFlorida

Here’s the worst part. If you have a weak stomach regarding snakes, look away. I noticed something dragging from my counter to just below the top of my stove. IT WAS A SNAKE SKIN. The snake had been on my counter and shed it’s skin...while I was in the house!!!! At this point, I want to die. I’m pretty sure I did, because I had an out of body experience at that point. I can no longer go in the kitchen.

My sister and her friend come over and move all my appliances out from the wall. Dexter is trying to help by sniffing it out...lol. At this point, I’m on the couch in a fetal position. All I can do is watch. They can’t find the snake. It went back into the wall.

It’s now 9:30 at night and I’ve got a loose snake in the house? How the holy heck am I going to go to sleep? I email a snake guy on the advice of a family member who I had called because...I want to die. I tell the snake guy in the email that I want to die. He calls me within 10 minutes. ? He tells me he will come out Sunday morning and find out how the snakes are getting in, but to help me sleep, he will come to me within 20 minutes to lay snake traps. I say YES!

He came out that night and caught the snake. Woo-freaking-hoo! He had to remove some cabinets to do it. He was gone by 11pm. He then came out Sunday morning and searched my house, attic and outside. He sealed everything up. He told me if I see another snake, he’ll come out for free. He was awesome. If anyone wants his info, let me know. He’s in the Fort Myers/Estero/Bonita Springs area.

I’ve attached a picture of Dexter “helping” while my sister was looking under the fridge before they moved it. Dexter wanted in on the action. LOL

Attachments

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Hysterically funny post. Sorry for getting entertainment from something that really spooked you, but you’re a funny writer.

I lived in FL for almost 13yrs. I was a wreck my first year there during hurricane season. Constantly terrified I was going to die in a hurricane. I learned quickly they rarely hit north FL with more than a tropical storm. You’ll get used to it, even though you probably won’t believe me yet. You’ll start planning hurricane parties, or joining someone else’s hurricane party.

As for the snakes, they are generally harmless and more beneficial to the eco system around your home. I used to cry because I mowed over some occasionally because I didn’t see them in time. They keep rodents and mammals away from your home. Like the annoying raccoons and opossums. Then again, I love snakes and spiders, so my reaction would be “awesome, let’s see what kind of guy we have in here.”

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hysterically funny post. Sorry for getting entertainment from something that really spooked you, but you’re a funny writer.
Thank you! It’s either laugh or cry.

I lived in FL for almost 13yrs. I was a wreck my first year there during hurricane season. Constantly terrified I was going to die in a hurricane. I learned quickly they rarely hit north FL with more than a tropical storm. You’ll get used to it, even though you probably won’t believe me yet. You’ll start planning hurricane parties, or joining someone else’s hurricane party.
I’ve been here 2.5 years. My first year here was Irma, where my area took a direct hit. Welcome to Florida! We planned to ride it out and stock piled a ton! Then decided to make a run for it at the last minute. We evacuated to Georgia. It sort of helped but the storm just chased us all the way there. I’ve got hysterical road trip stories of four cars, 10 adults, 1 92 year old grandma, and 3 dogs traveling to Georgia. Never want to repeat that. Ever. Since it’s my third summer here, we did in fact plan a hurricane party. But the storm stayed East. Not sure I’ll ever get used to it. All summer and fall (i.e., the rainy season), you’re on hurricane watch. It’s no joke. Although I’m at the point that I’m eating hurricane food before the hurricane. Guess I’m seasoned now...lol.

As for the snakes, they are generally harmless and more beneficial to the eco system around your home. I used to cry because I mowed over some occasionally because I didn’t see them in time. They keep rodents and mammals away from your home. Like the annoying raccoons and opossums. Then again, I love snakes and spiders, so my reaction would be “awesome, let’s see what kind of guy we have in here.”
You’re sick. ??

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
You have an awesome sister! We all need sisters who come do snake patrol. Well except I really like snakes. I prefer big snakes because little snakes always manage to slip across my bare feet at odd moments and startle me.
And way to go Dexter! What a good boy, keeping watch against evil serpent monsters. Very handsome boy btw.

Did you keep the snake skin?

·
Super Moderator
7,709 Posts
Not making light of your fear at all,but your post is hilarious:) Spiders are my phobia.My husband is the one that is afraid of snakes.A few years ago hubby and our neighbor were cutting down a couple of dead trees on the edge of our property and. I heard them both yell.I'm thinking chainsaw accident!! and run out ready to call 911.They're both standing about 20ft from the tree pointing at the base.Instead of a severed human limb there was a tiny baby garter snake that was driven out of his resting place by the saw vibration.I scooped him up and let him go in the woods out back.Then I raked up all of the twigs because the guys said that they all looked like snakes now.Of course I won't cut a tree down ever again after the first time because the vibration causes insects and (shudder) spiders to become dislodged and I would probably die if one fell on me.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Your post made me smile. Dexter is super handsome. I was kind of expecting to see a picture of the snake or the snakeskin. I'm not terribly disappointed it was one of Dexter. I'm not bothered by snakes when I see them outdoors--if they leave me alone, I leave them alone. But I would not like to find one in my house. No thank you!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Loved your story, and good for Dexter!

Have to confess that reaction on my part would be "Cool!" And after checking to make sure it's not of a venomous/poisonous variety, I would probably just pick it up or push it gently with broom handle to get it into a large pillowcase. Snakes don't freak me out at all ... they feel dry, cool to the touch and muscular. They will coil around your arm and hand. I've also picked up frogs and turtles from the middle of streets...sometimes getting peed on for "saving their life".

At least it wasn't a Gator!
ha ha ha
Now I actually think THAT would really freak me out!

PS You are in good company...Indiana Jones was really afraid of Snakes!
PPS Hope all is well through Hurricane Dorian! We are hunkering down here too, the kids have 3-hour early dismissal.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Spiders are my phobia.
<-- I am with you! I grew up in small town NH playing with all manner of amphibians, reptiles, and even daddy long leg spiders. Moved to AZ and walked thru a few black widow webs (yes, you CAN feel the difference) and so it began.

I was ready to burn my last home down after one of the cats brought in a tarantula and dropped it to skitter under the stove. Many mornings I would exit the back door to find 8 hairy legs laid out in an array on the walk, and the soft squishy middle missing. Cat had a definite preference and the dogs would not help with the legs.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts

Have to confess that reaction on my part would be "Cool!" And after checking to make sure it's not of a venomous/poisonous variety, I would probably just pick it up or push it gently with broom handle to get it into a large pillowcase. Snakes don't freak me out at all ... they feel dry, cool to the touch and muscular. They will coil around your arm and hand. I've also picked up frogs and turtles from the middle of streets...sometimes getting peed on for "saving their life".

ha ha ha
The gators aren’t too bad. We had a resident gator living in the retention pond in our backyard. Lived in a no fence neighborhood with a large pond. We’d all get together and feed the old guy. Pretty amazing to watch them eat! They really only go after you if they feel threatened, or hungry. This guy had been in the pond for as long as anyone could remember. Some people would actually pet it. No thanks! But I did enjoy participating in the feeding.

We had a family camping trip in Georgia. Rented some canoes and kayaks, and it’s the first time I was really spooked by a gator. There were so so so many of them, and you could see them all sliding off the bank and coming towards the boats. Needless to say, we went maybe 100ft before we gave up and turned back. We had done a full day rental and planned to be on the water all day. The camp guy took pity on us when he saw my white as a sheet face, and refunded us the money. Said we weren’t the first, and certainly wouldn’t be the last! That was way to close for my comfort!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The gators aren’t too bad. We had a resident gator living in the retention pond in our backyard. Lived in a no fence neighborhood with a large pond. We’d all get together and feed the old guy. Pretty amazing to watch them eat! They really only go after you if they feel threatened, or hungry. This guy had been in the pond for as long as anyone could remember. Some people would actually pet it. No thanks! But I did enjoy participating in the feeding.

We had a family camping trip in Georgia. Rented some canoes and kayaks, and it’s the first time I was really spooked by a gator. There were so so so many of them, and you could see them all sliding off the bank and coming towards the boats. Needless to say, we went maybe 100ft before we gave up and turned back. We had done a full day rental and planned to be on the water all day. The camp guy took pity on us when he saw my white as a sheet face, and refunded us the money. Said we weren’t the first, and certainly wouldn’t be the last! That was way to close for my comfort!
You would have thought they would have told you about the gators before you got into the water. They would have had to put me in a drug induced coma until I stopped shaking.

·
Registered
51 Posts
OMG! I laughed so hard at your dilemma but I could tell it was to make us smile. Not saying you aren't freaked out by snakes! You have a beautiful dog. I bet your sister loves you posting her arse in the air. But, your brave Dexter is there to assist. Don't like snakes or spiders or flying bugs. I have a rule. You live in your world and you live. You come into my world and you die. Happily, we don't have too many snakes in our woods that leave their area. I am known by my family as "The Spider Killer". My daughter lives on property beside our farm land. I will not live out there. Not one bloody tree! She is always sending me photos of a spider with a coin or other object to let me see how big it is. The are big. I was at her home and outside and she starts screaming, SPIDER! SPIDER! SPIDER! I took off my shoe and went after it. She freaked out more about me going after the spider than the spider. I said, look how small that spider is compared to you or my shoe. Be brave. He is more afraid of you than you are of him. Well, dirty look and into the house for her. Why does she like out there? I need trees! Lots of trees. I am from the mountains of Maryland and transplanted to MO. At least there are rolling hills Lord, has anyone ever driven through Kansas in daylight? We'd put the kids in the van at their bedtime to sleep while we went through Kansas.There are a lot of poles but not many trees.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
OMG! I laughed so hard at your dilemma but I could tell it was to make us smile. Not saying you aren't freaked out by snakes! You have a beautiful dog. I bet your sister loves you posting her arse in the air. But, your brave Dexter is there to assist. Don't like snakes or spiders or flying bugs. I have a rule. You live in your world and you live. You come into my world and you die. Happily, we don't have too many snakes in our woods that leave their area. I am known by my family as "The Spider Killer". My daughter lives on property beside our farm land. I will not live out there. Not one bloody tree! She is always sending me photos of a spider with a coin or other object to let me see how big it is. The are big. I was at her home and outside and she starts screaming, SPIDER! SPIDER! SPIDER! I took off my shoe and went after it. She freaked out more about me going after the spider than the spider. I said, look how small that spider is compared to you or my shoe. Be brave. He is more afraid of you than you are of him. Well, dirty look and into the house for her. Why does she like out there? I need trees! Lots of trees. I am from the mountains of Maryland and transplanted to MO. At least there are rolling hills Lord, has anyone ever driven through Kansas in daylight? We'd put the kids in the van at their bedtime to sleep while we went through Kansas.There are a lot of poles but not many trees.

Don't move to Australia, we have hunstman spiders, they are big. Don't open the link if it may give you nightmares, I've seen bigger than this one.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You have an awesome sister! We all need sisters who come do snake patrol. Well except I really like snakes. I prefer big snakes because little snakes always manage to slip across my bare feet at odd moments and startle me.
And way to go Dexter! What a good boy, keeping watch against evil serpent monsters. Very handsome boy btw.

Did you keep the snake skin?
She is awesome! When I called her, she went for 20 minutes talking about her problems. At the end of the call I said...so the reason I called is. She like, “Why didn’t you lead with that?!?!?” I told her to take an hour to come over so I could clean. I go one day without vacuuming and it looks like I live in a meth lab. LOL

I didn’t keep the snake skin. I couldn’t look at it or touch it without wanting to vomit. My sisters friend disposed of it. ?

A snake crawling across my your feet? I would have died on the spot.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

ha ha ha

PS You are in good company...Indiana Jones was really afraid of Snakes!
PPS Hope all is well through Hurricane Dorian! We are hunkering down here too, the kids have 3-hour early dismissal.
It was a black racer. Non-venomous but aggressive. If cornered, they rear up and bite. That’s what my last two did when I tried to usher them out with a broom. One coiled around my bedpost and reared up to strike.

All is well for us with Dorian. Thanks. Not getting much in the way of anything on the west coast. I wish others were as lucky. ? Stay safe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts