German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
My dog Jackson was having an intensive protection lesson and he usually grabs on after he bites around the helpers leg. My trainer was the Helper that day and Jack cut my trainers leg with his dew Claw. I keep his Dew Claws the normal length. He is now licking his Dew Claw and it seems to hurt him. The dew claw now sticks out towards the other leg. His other Dew claw is fine. I tried to put a sock around it so he would not iritate but he took it off. I also put hydrogen peroxide around it to see if he had any cuts. He pulled away and started to cry when I fiddled with it.
I was wondering if he can dislocated a dew claw??
The nail is not cracked or anything. i dont know what to do. I don't think he needs to go to the vets. I just want to help him be more comfortable. Thank you :)

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
He may have pulled some tissue from the bone. I would maybe get some vetwrap and keep it wrapped for a bit to see if it will heal. Otherwise If Jackson is chewing the wrap off, just let it heal on its own. Maybe not do protection for a week or two while healing.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
you may have to wrap then put a sock over his foot/wrap, good luck with that!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
This is *extremely* painful for the dog, and it is aggravated each time the paw is used for anything.

I do now know if it would help to take him to the vet to have them clip that nail down, they would most likely have to lightly sedate him. This happened to my boy, but the nail was cracked from an internal weakness, so a bit more complicated.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
With my older girl when she needed her leg wrapped, what we did:

Wrap with vet wrap

Cut whole at the bottom the sock, so it is a legging and not really a sock anymore.

Slide the legging over the vet wrap and secure both ends with duck tape.

Do not get the fur, just securly/tight but not too tight secure the whole legging with duck tape. We went over it a few times so she couldn't get it off right away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts