1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
In the GSD, rear dewclaws should have been removed by the breeder when pups were a day or two old...front ones should remain. Other breeds have other reasons to keep or remove. Field/sporting breeds have the front removed now and then due to ripping them.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, all of my dogs have no rear Dews. I should have specified I meant more front dew claws.
Or rather for those that prefer removing. Why?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I think front legs look better without the distraction of dewclaws but I'm not going to have pain caused to my adult GSD by having them removed.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
I’ve personally never known anyone to remove front dew claws. The standard says you can, but they are normally left. I haven’t seen any puppies with rear dew claws, so I don’t know how common that is.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
My dogs use them like thumbs. I leave them. I have had dozens of dogs and have never had any trouble with a front dew claw. I have never produced rear dews. So, I leave them be.

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
the only thing with dew claws is since they don't typically touch the ground, check them more frequently for a trim. Other than that, I agree, leave them be.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Mine use theirs as thumbs. They also use them for traction in climbing up steep and slick surfaces. Mine have injured dew claws and toe nails. Injuries suck, but they heal, this is not a valid reason for removal imop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts