German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have pups with rear dew claws, do you remove them or have the vet do it? I've never had puppies with rear dews before, so haven't had to deal with this. I know it should be done around 3-5 days.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
We've never had it happen either, but most of the breeders I know who have have removed the dewclaws themselves, either by tying it off tightly with a piece of dental floss until it falls off, or by clipping it off with nail clippers. Reason being it's a fairly simple proceedure, and not worth risking the health of such young pups by hauling them to a vet office where their immature immune systems will be exposed to who know's what.

But if we were to have it happen, I'd definitely first consult with a vet and breeders experienced in removing them (like you're trying to do by posting on here).

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
My first dog with Dew claws is Bo, he will have them removed during his nueter procedure when he is about 7 months. Sounds painful the other way, they are attached to the dog by some thick skin. Odd some dogs get them and some do not, they seem useless.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's wierd that the females don't have them & there are only 3 of the boys that do. Maybe they didn't "cook" long enough for them to fall off. J/K

Chris,
that is one of my worries if a vet does it. It would be nice if I had a vet that did home visits like in the old days

I do have a call into another breeder, to see if she'd stop out to help. She breeds a toy breed, but I figure it would be the same procedure. I won't mind doing it, but it'd be nice to have someone there that has done it before, ya know.

·
Registered
402 Posts
From what I have been told...these go back to the old Eastern block bloodlines. I don't know for sure, though. What I do know is that all my litters have them and it is an easy home surgical procedure done in the whelp by me by 3 days of age. If there is a ball joint, you just need to be sure to cut the ball out or your claw will grow again. They can also appear in pairs...be sure to cut the whole thing off. The do bleed...it is a vascular area, but the mother keeps that cleaned up nicely. I have done this without incident.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up having to do it myself. Wasn't as complicated as I thought it may be. I put mom outside & then had hubby hold the pups. I used one of those larger (human)fingernail/toenail clippers instead of scissors. Worked perfectly!! The pups didn't fuss too much either.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Senate bill 95 in Ohio will put an end to breeders doing this legally.

I think that is kind of rediculous, who will enforce it, and as was mentioned, why subject the pups to a vet's office and possible disease that can wipe out a litter when the procedure is simple and painless when done correctly at the proper time.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It seems like every time you turn around they are trying to pass a new law that prohibits the responsible ones from doing something, yet they don't make better/strict(er) laws to stop all the puppy mills & (bad) BYB. Makes no sense to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts