German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
I have also been wondering about a good source of these nice long tugs and toys. None of the local suspects in my area seem to carry them.
Try online - Etsy has some nice tugs, also Clean Run, and Rush to Tug. Long tugs are popular in flyball, there are lots of people who will custom make tugs but many don’t have websites, just Facebook pages. I made my own with YouTube instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
power of tug by Michael Ellis isn’t too bad. specific tug toys like jutes can be helpful. Posting increases drive, but I think what worked the best for me was letting lose; be the hype man. You may have to be obnoxious and theatrical when encouraging him, if you’re having fun, he may be more inclined to get just as rambunctious. Play everywhere. I carry a jute with me for random sessions when out.

·
Super Moderator
32,162 Posts
Rush to Tug: TugToyspg
I have bought tugs from here before, and it's where I get my flyball collars with a handle.

Clean Run: Tugging Toys - Clean Run
I've ordered from them too, they have a lot of good stuff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The jute shamee on a stick from elite k9 just came in the mail, My dog took to it very quickly. Before I could even get it on the ground he was jumping to get it. He tugged very hard with it too. I was competing with the snow, which he loves to eat and play with too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update: using a “bark” or “speak” command before tug session helps a lot. When he first tugs, petting him on the head and sweet talking him while continuing to tug helps too

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Immediately pair the bark with a very quick movement of the shamee and a miss. Mix it up by giving the speak command and give a few misses and then a grip and giving a grip the first time the shamee moves after a bark. When you have built enough drive to get rid of the stick, give some misses and then a quick command for a sit or down and a quick grip on the shamee or tug. To lure at first, raise the toy over and behind the dog's head for a sit and to the ground near his front paws for a down. It is best to continue to use food to teach the different obedience positions and then go to the toy to increase speed.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts