German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
That was very interesting. Years ago my horse vet was the one who got me on the 45 days it's really interesting to know about 60 days. I stop the last dose as late as November and test in April. I've been going to my new vet almost 3 years and although they don't really push me I often get the comments about year round or whatever.
I can say the mosquitos are horrible by me. Last night I went to give my horse water and they were swarming all over the dogs so I brought them in right away. I've been using Fresh Pet spray and I got the bite blocker for me I can say I went back to the barn after spraying myself a little and I was ok.
The more I learn about drugs & drug companies the sicker I feel.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I didn't read the entire article, but what I did read concerns me. Yes, there must be certain conditions for dogs to get HW. Many, many dogs do get HW and need treatment. Many dog die without treatment. I would rather use the preventative than need the Immiticide treatment.

My pup is almost a year now. He came from a high kill shelter in SC. He had demodex and microfilariae, when I got him. He was on Ivomec for months. The demodex went away. The microfilariae did not. While my pup never tested positive for adult HW, it was confirmed that he did have "new" microfilariae, which would only be from adult HW. He has been through the Immiticide treatment. Last week, he went back to the vet for his one month followup. Guess what? He STILL has microfilariae.

"Boh's" blood has been sent to VT vet school. The professor requested LOTS of blood, because there are many people who will want a sample. I am still waiting to hear back, but I can honestly way that if'/when, I get rid of these things, I will do everything in my power to make sure he never gets them again.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I can certainly appreciate the points & concern of HW meds pointed out in this article.

I do limited vaccines, feed what I believe is the best diet, tried natural applications for fleas & ticks, use vinager to kill weeds in my yard, natural shampoo...oh the list goes on:)

But, when it comes to heart worms, that totally freaks me out. Our property backs protected wetlands. The mosquitoes are overwhelming at times. I will not risk it & give HW meds all year. Although, I have considered giving during certain months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts