German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 1/2 month old black GSD,Texas, is destroying our apartment balcony.
Texas has already destroyed two potted plants (including the pots), chewed and ripped the electrical wires for our apartment (the landlord had a fit!), and has now started chewing on my bistro chairs. :help:

Texas is only allowed out on the balcony to eat, drink water, and get some fresh air; she is allowed 30 minutes to an hour outside. She is also walked 3 times a day for 30 minutes, not including relief walks; on weekends (when I am not at work), we throw the ball outside and allow her to do free runs for the ball. She has a variety of chews available to her outside as well: 2 rawhide bones (both different flavors), a rubber squeak weight, and a rubber ball. But, this has not stopped her from chewing and destroying the electrical wires, my precious plants (the first plants I acquired when I moved out 4 years ago), and now sadly my bistro that I worked so hard to acquire and purchase.

Our first attempt to correct this behavior was to place bitter apple on the plants and electrical wires; this worked momentarily and, by the next day, she destroyed both again. A friend even came over and rubbed a jalapeno on the electrical wires. At first, she was persistent, and then with time, she stopped. But this is not something I want to resort to. I don't want to place jalapeno juice on everything I own. Also, I don't always want to be standing next to the door waiting for her to eat and drink (she won't eat or drink if I am standing there because she then wants to come in). I want her outside time to be calming and relaxing, since we only let her out after our long walks.

I understand that puppies chew, but how can I reduce or stop this behavior? I almost feel myself losing patience; the last thing I need is to be thrown out of my apartment, my dog dying from an electrical shock, and losing the other things I worked hard on to acquire. Someone, please guide me and lend me some kind words of encouragement. :help:

All opinions and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Unfortunately puppies do like to chew...everything. Mine was the same way, so I had to really keep an eye on her. Anytime I saw her try to chew on something that she wasn't suppose to I would give her a very firm NO and tell her to LEAVE IT. It took some doing but she did outgrow that phase...thankfully. You can always keep her on a leash all the time and tell her NO and redirect her. Do you have any way of containing her when she is in the apartment but not in a crate...using gates to block her in certain areas? I know its frustrating...but she is probably teething which makes it worse.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
My 3 1/2 month old black GSD,Texas, is destroying our apartment balcony.

Also, I don't always want to be standing next to the door waiting for her to eat and drink (she won't eat or drink if I am standing there because she then wants to come in). I want her outside time to be calming and relaxing, since we only let her out after our long walks.

Someone, please guide me and lend me some kind words of encouragement. :help: All opinions and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.
Encouraging words first, she's teething and her mouth really hurts so most of the behavior is only temporary. Until that stops she's going to spend most of her time looking for something to chew or bite...but it's normal.

Make sure she has plenty of things to chew. There are lots of teething toys that you put in the freezer, do you have any of those? When you see her start to go after something she shouldn't have give her a toy to chew or divert her attention.

The bad news, she's just a baby, you have to watch her 24/7 or put her some place where she can't hurt herself or your things. She won't be calmed or relaxed when she electrocutes herself. :(

Just keep telling yourself, this too shall pass!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Texas is allowed to roam the apartment, but only on leash. It allows me to restrict her access to certain areas, things, and my cats - she is occasionally still chasing after my cats. But the reason why I want the balcony time is because I feel it give us both a break. She gets to eat and relax and I get to take a mental break for a moment. But, I guess with a puppy you don't get that really. *sigh*

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But, I am happy to hear that its just a phase and it will pass. As long as its not forever. I will be ok with that. I will take your suggestion whiteshepherds and look into acquiring another chew toy for her. My sister and I do give her ice cubes; she really likes them. Maybe, a frozen toy would entice her.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Are you crate training her? Instead of leaving her outside for a very understandable "break", get her used to her crate.

On the balcony and when not supervised, she can get in all sorts of trouble which you're finding out. In the crate, it's really much safer for her and nothing can really get destroyed.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Texas is crate trained; she is doing wonderfully with this. Right after her balcony break, she runs straight to her crate. I could crate her, but yes, the reason why I wanted her to be outside for a bit was for fresh air and not be cooped up in the apartment for so long. But, I understand that right now is a critical time and she will be getting into some trouble for now, I guess I will just need to keep a closer eye on her. Thank you for the advice though; I greatly appreciate it. =)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Yeah those puppy times are really a handful. I remember I had to keep an eye on lucy 24/7. She was such a trouble maker back then. Really, she still is, but at 2.5 years old, she's starting to grow up. Still, to this day, need to keep an eye on her about 90% of the time when she's not crated.

If you're worried about fresh air, take her out for a nice walk or do some outdoor training and then crate her when you guys get back for some alone time. That way you won't have to worry about your pup getting into stuff and she'll have already had some outdoor time.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
while you may have good intentions for leaving her on your balcony, puppies are like little kids, if they aren't supervised, they are going to get into all kinds of trouble..

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
while you may have good intentions for leaving her on your balcony, puppies are like little kids, if they aren't supervised, they are going to get into all kinds of trouble..
Exactly!

She has to be watched at all times when she is out and about. If you cannot watch her then she should be crated for her safety and for your sanity.

Puppies are ALOT of work, they chew and bite and get into everything, it is your job to make sure she only chews on her toys, it is your job to redirect her when she bites and it's your job to watch her so she doesn't get into anything that could cause her harm or ruin something of yours.

When she gets passed this stage, you'll be happy you didn't get rid of her and you'll wonder how you ever could have lived without her. :)

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
It is so much like having a baby. Just like babies and toddlers, it is difficult to train a puppy not to get into things. To try to do so is very likely to damage an owners relationship with their dog for long term. Just as when we had our children, when a new puppy is here, the house is "puppy-proofed". Anything non-essential is put up and away. Trash can is stowed away etc. As with a young child, puppies must have constant supervision. I have a four month old puppy here and she is never out of sight unless she is safely contained in her crate or outdoor pen.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Our puppy did the same..chewed everything in sign. I've a chair in my office room where all the legs are chewed up. But it's my fault..not my pet's. After reading several posts, I too started offering her frozen chew toys and it helped. But yes I've torn carpets, chewed furniture, chewed kid's toys etc that bear proof that puppies do need to chew while teething.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
You need more appropriate toys. A rubber bone, ball, and rawhide (which is horrifically dangerous for dogs in general, much less puppies). You need things like nylabones (the ones marked DURABLE, not PUPPY), KONG treat balls (many won't chew on a regular kong, but my puppy will play for HOURS each day with his kong treat ball when it has treats inside).

your pup needs a chewing outlet, and needs multiple toys and to be shown that those are play things and not anything else. Regarding bitter apple, you have to reapply each DAY. Spray the item, then the pup gets a squirt in the mouth.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I don't know how big your balcony is, but have you considered buying an x-pen and placing it on the balcony, and putting your pup in there while outside. The x-pen I had was 4 feet by 4 feet. It would give her the outside experience, give her a larger space than the crate, but keep her away from anything you don't want her to chew.

Give her some toys to chew, but she could also just watch the world go by if she didn't feel like playing with the toy. But she couldn't get your plants.

And the x-pen is easy to put up and take down, so if you don't want it there all the time it is easy to remove.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you so much for all the suggestions and kind words. I appreciate it. I like the idea of acquiring a Kong toy and possibly the pen. My balcony is approximately 6 x 12. Maybe I could pen her near the door away from the plants and bistro. I will stop by petsmart today and look into the pen and Kong. Thank you again. I will keep trying to have patience. Just two more years.

Also, after her teething stage will she become a little less mouthy?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts