German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone please help me. We just moved across the country, from Oklahoma to Tennessee. While we were in Oklahoma he did good in his crate. He did bend it a little in the front but nothing major. Usually he was only upset in it when he knew we were home and we didn't let him in the house.

We are now in Tennessee and its a whole different story. The crate has been put in the same place, in the garage area. Here he looses his mind while in the crate. He has all bit destroyed it. I don't think it can take much more of a beating from him. He won't hardly stay in it.

Does anyone have any ideas why the sudden change? More importantly what can I do to correct this. We can't afford to keep buying new crates. My husband is angry that I can't stop this behavior. It's turned into a nightmare. Please any advice would help.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine has escaped a few times. I'm lucky because the crate is an older crate and built much better then the newer ones. He figured out how to pull the front toward him to collapse it. Then we put twist ties on it and after a while he figured out how to undo those perfectly..they were still in one piece. Now I have put two locks on there and he tries chewing them but he can't get anywhere.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
He's obviously anxious about being in a new place. Just like people, it takes dogs time to adapt. It sounds like he's developed a bit of separation anxiety from the move. How much exercise is he getting? How much time is he spending in the crate? What kind of crate is it? What does he do when he gets out of it?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
a dog in a crate, in the garage. doesn't sound like a good time for the dog.
bring the dog inside and the crate. crate him when you can't watch him.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My boy tries to escape! He is rarely in his crate but I need a safe place to leave him when he can't come with me. It is not often
We have used the ties to hold it in place, added large locks etc. not sure how much longer we will be able to put him in. I am not ready to leave him out with our girl- he is 9 months and 90 pounds---gentle giant lol

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only time he is crated is at night or when we go somewhere and he can't come. Besides night time he spends less than 2 hours a day in his crate. He has a huge back yard here that he runs and plays in. I spend time playing fetch with him and playing with his flirt pole. We also go for walks and do training. When he is inside he stays next to me, he usually sleeps when he is inside the house.

I would put the crate in the house with us, but there simple isn't room. We are living with family for a couple weeks and the house is not very big. Plus they are not dog people so it would cause problems for him to sleep inside. I didn't think it would be a big deal since he had slept out in the garage at our old house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts