German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! Okay, here's the situation. I have an incredibly sweet, 4 year old 125 lb GSD Jack. He always preferred being outside (95% of the time) and would invite anyone in for coffee and as much as I love him to death, I also wanted to have a GSD who would be more devoted to me and want to be with me as well as peform well as a watchdog. While I knew no one can "order" a certain behavior with a new puppy, I waited and finally chose a new breeder and bought a new puppy. Well, Aggie has filled all my expectations..she is incredibly devoted, and is an unbelievable watchdog. She is now 1 year old and still maintains these qualities. Unfortunately, there are times that she is VERY aggressive towards Jack. It happens without provocation and can happen indoors or out. (of course, Jack now wants to be in the house a good percentage of the time). Jack usually doesn't fight back and just takes it. Aggie has a shock collar and when it happens, I use it but her adrenalin is probably flowing so fast, she isn't even fazed by it! My husband tried to break it up yesterday and got bit on the leg in the tangle. Mind you, it doesn't happen all the time (right now, they are both asleep on my kitchen floor) but when it does, it's bad. She usually grabs his ear and shakes it hard and won't stop even though he really cries. There is no mistake, she is not playing. She also growls at him if he is outside the glass door and she is inside. If there are 2 identical toys and I give each one, she wants his. No matter what it is. To make matters more complicated Jack does tease her and if he has something in his mouth, he almost pushes it in her face to get her to play. She clearly doesn't find it funny.
Sorry for all the information all over the place. I just hope to give an accurate picture of what is going on.
Any help is appreciated. BTW, Aggie has an appointment next week to be neutered.
Thanks so much!
Lorri

·
Registered
482 Posts
Anytime you have two same sex dogs there could be issues if one is altered and one is not. IMO neutering will probably stop SOME of this. Other than when your husband was bit have they drawn blood on one another? If they have not I would say this is the unaltered male asserting dominance over the other and being the pack leader. He must feel as though it is his job to be pack leader and set order into the house. Not saying anything you are doing is wrong but sounds like he has taken over the pack and looks at you / your family / the house as his domain instead of it being yours / your families domain and his responsibility is to support the pack leader. I am willing to bet with the neuter and if you step up as the pack leader this will all but stop. If it does not and they are causing harm to one another (which it does not sound like is happening) time to bring in a professional to help you sort it out.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Any help is appreciated. BTW, Aggie has an appointment next week to be neutered.
Thanks so much!
Lorri
Wait a minute is Aggie a girl or a boy? Neutered is what happens to a male but you refer to Aggie as a her earlier? My comment / opinion could change if Aggie is actually a girl and Jack is a Boy

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Anytime you have two same sex dogs there could be issues if one is altered and one is not. IMO neutering will probably stop SOME of this. Other than when your husband was bit have they drawn blood on one another? If they have not I would say this is the unaltered male asserting dominance over the other and being the pack leader. He must feel as though it is his job to be pack leader and set order into the house. Not saying anything you are doing is wrong but sounds like he has taken over the pack and looks at you / your family / the house as his domain instead of it being yours / your families domain and his responsibility is to support the pack leader. I am willing to bet with the neuter and if you step up as the pack leader this will all but stop. If it does not and they are causing harm to one another (which it does not sound like is happening) time to bring in a professional to help you sort it out.
I think Aggie is female and OP just used the wrong word. Should have said spayed instead of neutered.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Sounds like some resource guarding going on. And I am guessing your husband pulled her off Jack by the collar, with Lakota that would only amp her up more. Spaying isn't going to resolve her issues. I have to watch my girl like a hawk, normally I can't redirect her from whatever her intentions are. Are you working with a trainer? Back to basic obedience and look into NILIF nothing in life is free.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think Aggie is female and OP just used the wrong word. Should have said spayed instead of neutered.
I think you are correct, my opinion only changes slightly as they are not going to be fighting for pack leadership as the alpha male since there is always an alpha male and female it sounds like the female "Aggie" thinks she is pack leader instead of the beta female. The beta should support and protect only when provoked while an alpha will assert dominance over the pack to remain in the alpha position. The beta female should look to the alpha female (OP) to determine what is acceptable and what is not and when to pounce, attack, or protect.

My suggestion is become the alpha, and make sure she knows it. Things that I do to assert myself as the alpha female in my pack: I tell the dogs when they eat. They sit and wait for my cue just like they would in a pack environment the alpha male / female allow others to eat when they say so. Meaning I prepare their dinner and make them sit away from the bowl instead of just letting them have at it.

My command and word is the first and final say so. Just remember dogs do hear you and if you have to tell them multiple times to do something they are blowing you off. (unless your dog is deaf) I do not have to hit or touch my dogs in order to make them feel as though they did something they should not have. My flexion in my voice says it all. But once it is done and overwith its overwith. Dogs live in the moment what they did 15 minutes ago no longer matters. If they are ignoring me after the flexion in my voice changes they know it immediately. Say I tell them to sit and the ignore the cue I force them to sit immediately and they get no praise. I will repeat the action again in a few moments and they get ample praise / reward if they listen on the first command.

Dogs are like 3yr old kids, they test every day what they can and cannot get away with. If you let them get away with something once they lose respect, let that happen 3-4 times and they see it as weakness and take over as alpha or at least try. My dogs get a ton of affection love playtime and beyond. But they also are not permitted to test me and my alpha role in the household.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clarification

Jack is a male and Aggie is a female.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have heard good things about this routine:
Mind Games (version 1.0) by M. Shirley Chong

It's all about gaining structure in your household.
Sounds like a great plan. Some of the very same things I do to maintain my alpha status in my household. It is called tough love, it is not being cruel, it is establishing the proper social hierarchy in your home that will result in a well balanced pack.

One other thing you may or may not want to try... Is you pick the pecking order not her. Meaning Jack is #2 and she is #3. I don't mean you love one more than the other or you treat one better than the other but the general succession of what you do, like feeding time, Jack is released to feed before she is. Or Jack gets his treat before she does. I don't know your dog and this could back fire and create a situation where she may want to try and assert her position worse. That is something only you can determine because you know them individually and how they react to certain situations. If you think doing this *might* cause such then do not do it.

The furniture thing is huge. My dogs are not allowed on people furniture. There is a chair that my samoyed is permitted to be in and thats it. THey have their beds and they sleep in them, letting them be on the furniture with you puts them at eye level and gives them an opportunity to feel superior or equal. Now once you have the balance in your pack it becomes less of an issue but with an unbalanced pack I would stop this if you do let her on the furniture.

You are obviously a great pet parent and care it shows clearly, now you just have to be the boss pet parent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 yr male attacks my 18yr daughter frequently

Hi there, hoping someboody can give me some suggestions. I have a 2yr old male that i've had since he was 12 weeks. Never had any type of problem with agression at all, excellent dog. Afew days ago my older daughter,shes 18,went to pet Bishop. He growled ,got onto his feet,started barking,ran and jumped on her back, getting very close to her neck. This has happenend several times the past few days. It happened again tonight and I really would appreciate any ideas. Ihave 4 children. Bishop is perfect with all of them, except my 18yr old. We just love him so much, it'd break our hearts if we couldn't keep him. I'm planning on having him neutered next month to see if that helps. Any ideas?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi there, hoping someboody can give me some suggestions. I have a 2yr old male that i've had since he was 12 weeks. Never had any type of problem with agression at all, excellent dog. Afew days ago my older daughter,shes 18,went to pet Bishop. He growled ,got onto his feet,started barking,ran and jumped on her back, getting very close to her neck. This has happenend several times the past few days. It happened again tonight and I really would appreciate any ideas. Ihave 4 children. Bishop is perfect with all of them, except my 18yr old. We just love him so much, it'd break our hearts if we couldn't keep him. I'm planning on having him neutered next month to see if that helps. Any ideas?
Welcome to the forum. I suggest you start a new thread to receive more responses and feedback. You have a complicated problem and not something that should be resolved through "internet training". I suggest you see a dog behaviorist or professional dog trainer that can observe and analyze the dog and the situation in your home in person. If you post your exact location, forum members may be able to recommend someone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts