German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a lot of pet dogs being stolen lately. I was with my mother in law a couple weeks ago. We were walking Wolfie. A pickup truck with two guys in it were following us and staring. We both felt very uneasy about it. I do get people in their cars that will stop and comment on Wolfie, but never slowly followed. My mother in law said they were staring at Wolfie. We took a turn onto the main road with traffic going 50 + mph and they couldn't slowly follow us anymore. That got me thinking, but I dismissed it out of my head. Wolfie's trainer asked me at our last class if he was microchipped. I said no, that he never goes anywhere without me. She said that there have been a lot of thefts of dogs lately, and that they look for beautiful dogs to sell. It got me thinking, but with Christmas and all, I put it out of my head. Then yesterday, I was talking to a cop friend who said there have been a couple of dogs gone missing, in our town recently and they think they were stolen. So, I didn't really want to do it, but today at 2:15 I am taking Wolfie to the vet to get chipped. I hope he does ok. I feel bad because he's a big baby when he gets shots.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just to put it out there, maybe these guys wanted you and your mother in law and the dog was a deturrent? Be aware of your surroundings at all time.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to put it out there, maybe these guys wanted you and your mother in law and the dog was a deturrent? Be aware of your surroundings at all time.
That was my first thought, but my mother in law insisted that they were after Wolfie.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
microchipping is a great idea. Cody is registered with Avid and wears his tags.

I'm still curious how these thieves steal GSD's and other "tough" dogs.

Mandi our mix would probably go along with anyone she's so trusting of all people. Cody...I don't see him just letting a stranger grab his collar and hall him off into some van. I would see him snapping out once he realized they were trying to take him and probably attacking.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how they steal the tough dogs either. My parents, who used to live in the same town I do now, had their black lab stolen. She was out on her run one minute, and the next time my mom looked outside, she was gone. There were footprints in the snow around where the lead was hanging down. Luckily, they found her, but 2 months later at an animal shelter.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I always say that if anyone tried to take Madix, they would immediately try to return him. He's a HUGE mommy's boy, is very suspicious and extremely protective of not only me, but Midas as well - and THE most vocal dog I've ever been around. Everyone in a 3 mile radius would wonder what/who was being murdered LOL.

I agree though, always be aware of your surroundings just in case.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Microchipping is a great idea. I had Yoko done on our first vet visit over 4 yrs ago. It is a very large needle, she was only 9 wks old at the time, put a treat infront of her and she never even flinched when it was done. Make sure you send in the registration paperwork. So many people get the chip inserted and think that is it. You have to actually send in your registration information and about $21.00. I have heard that some vets send the info in for you, I can see why too. I have worked at vets and had stray animals come in. The chip was never registered by the owner. Then you have to track down who the chip was issued to, hope they keep a record (which they should), and then try to track down the owner. Hoping that the phone number is still current, so many people dont think to change phone number and address with the microchip company.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think my vet does the paperwork, but I will see. They told me on the phone it was $69 that includes registration and a years membership for poison control and a few other small things.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I'm still curious how these thieves steal GSD's and other "tough" dogs.

Mandi our mix would probably go along with anyone she's so trusting of all people. Cody...I don't see him just letting a stranger grab his collar and hall him off into some van. I would see him snapping out once he realized they were trying to take him and probably attacking.

I heard once that a female in heat was utilized to steal male dogs. I know that Hondo would be a forceable opponent if someone attempted to steal him, but if they utilized a female in heat - he might just follow along with great interest.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Both of mine are microchipped and have their tags on at all times. They are registered with the AKC CAR program too. Even though Victor is microchipped and neutered believe me there is no one that is gonna steal him. They would have to tranquilize him and I feel real sorry for them when he wakes up:wild:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Microchipping is a great idea but your dog can still get stolen and chances are the person that will end up with him will not take him in to the vet and get that checked.

All I can tell you is that you should never leave your dog outside alone. It takes less than 5 minutes to steal a dog.

I dont care what the weather is like outside, both dogs absolutely do not go outside alone, they go out together more than half the time and either my cousin and I are both out there with them or at least one of us is.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I'll definitely be getting my next pup microchipped. Huskies are beautiful and friendly dogs, thus easier and more appealing to steal.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I heard once that a female in heat was utilized to steal male dogs. I know that Hondo would be a forceable opponent if someone attempted to steal him, but if they utilized a female in heat - he might just follow along with great interest.

wow Lillie...that is a very good way to steal a male dog. bait them with a female.

that would make more sense than some guys trying to just strongarm the dog into a van.

scary

·
Registered
403 Posts
That happened in my mother's neighborhood as well. People were stealing dogs and holding them for ransom. Unfortunately, that happened to us as well earlier this year. The crook even sent me photos of her via my phone. I reported it to the cops, even a cop witnessed this person giving us the go round and was even probably watching us from a distance since he would only talk to us when the cop would leave. In the end, even though I had voicemails, pictures, text messages, and numbers the cops did NOTHING! They said an animal is property and that's it. If it was a human child they would track down the address, but cause they are not, they closed it that same day. I honestly dislike this system. Animals should be classified as a separate form of being. Animals can suffer just as much as a human.

Though, a lot of people in my area don't really know that a black German shepherd exists. Every time I go for a walk or take her to petsmart, people are always asking me what kind of breed she is. I do plan on microchipping her though when she gets fixed, it can also be done when shes under for $15; those who do recognize what kind of breed she is are at an awe since black is rarely seen. Its always a safe precaution.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
That happened in my mother's neighborhood as well. People were stealing dogs and holding them for ransom. Unfortunately, that happened to us as well earlier this year. The crook even sent me photos of her via my phone. I reported it to the cops, even a cop witnessed this person giving us the go round and was even probably watching us from a distance since he would only talk to us when the cop would leave. In the end, even though I had voicemails, pictures, text messages, and numbers the cops did NOTHING! They said an animal is property and that's it. If it was a human child they would track down the address, but cause they are not, they closed it that same day. I honestly dislike this system. Animals should be classified as a separate form of being. Animals can suffer just as much as a human.

Though, a lot of people in my area don't really know that a black German shepherd exists. Every time I go for a walk or take her to petsmart, people are always asking me what kind of breed she is. I do plan on microchipping her though when she gets fixed, it can also be done when shes under for $15; those who do recognize what kind of breed she is are at an awe since black is rarely seen. Its always a safe precaution.
Rogue so sorry to hear your story!!!! So, if you told the dog thieve you would pay ransom, how would you meet to pay/get the dog back? would the cops have been willing to come along for the meet up to arrest?

I would have told him I'd meet him with money and likely committed some crimes of my own

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Rogue so sorry to hear your story!!!! So, if you told the dog thieve you would pay ransom, how would you meet to pay/get the dog back? would the cops have been willing to come along for the meet up to arrest?

I would have told him I'd meet him with money and likely committed some crimes of my own
:laugh: I second that

Time for a beat down! :mad:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Unfortunately, no. The police said they could not help with an exchange at all, nor would they assist or be present. It was a personal matter that had to be held by ourselves. However, they advised against meeting the individual due to the fact that he would probably do this again. If I give into his and her (the thieves - there were two people calling me and sending me pictures from different cell numbers) demands, then I would open myself up to being targeted again, since I would be more than willing to submit to a ransom. Unfortunately, the guy called freaked out that the police were trying to contact him that he said he dumped my dog somewhere in a field and for me to leave him alone. I highly doubt it. I really think he still has her. I still think about her. I check the pound every week in hopes that one day he will let her go.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Sounds like the police were not doing their jobs, not that there wasn't anything they could do. Stolen property is stolen property. If they are then trying to "sell" the property is raises another problem. then there is the problem of harrassment.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Stolen property is stolen property. If they are then trying to "sell" the property is raises another problem. then there is the problem of harrassment.
I agree. I saw it as harassment as well. I reported 4 different incidents that he would call me and say horrible things. All of which I did not answer, but he was dumb enough to leave voicemails. The police ignored it and said it did not sound severe to the point that I might be in jeopardy, so what was the point of reporting or making note of it. So, it seems, you have to be in death's grip to receive any attention about a potential threat. *sigh*

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.