German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting frustrated, deparate and angry at my 4 mos old --- Montana
She was outside ALL day from about 9:30 this morning until lunchtime, and all after noon until dinner time. While my husband and I were eating dinner, she did all her business in the lliving room. She was doing soooo good house training. She gets taken out in the evenings on a routine bases and pees outside first thing in the morning, eats, and then is taken outside to potty after she eats, so she knows where to go. I am at the end of my rope!!! Seems the only solution may be to give her away. P.S. she even had a walk today but she doesn't usually potty on her walk. I have pee pads down in the living room as well but she ignores them. I am in DESPARATE need of some real advice, not just patience and taking her out often. :apple::apple:

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
keep her tethered to you so she can't slip away and potty in the house.

Once she's gone in a "spot" in the house, unless it's cleaned totally thoroughly, which I think is next to impossible on carpet:( it isn't surprising when they go back to the same spot.

I have never used peepads, I think they encourage a dog to 'go' where they shouldn't be going.

Keeping her within eyesite 24/7 is key, and sorry, but patience IS key,

·
Registered
5 Posts
I suggest that after she goes in the house that you immediately put her outside. That has worked for every dog I've had which since I was little have been quite a few since my mom would take all of the dogs we got to the pound but anyways it shows them that it isn't ok to go inside and that they are supposed to go potty outside

·
Registered
637 Posts
she is 4 months old, a baby... she has no concept of house breaking yet- yes patience is needed and so is taking her out frequently, along with praising her while she is pottying outside.. if she is having accidents in the house its not her fault. and she shouldnt have free roam at this age.. she is too young for free roam especially since she isnt housebroken. if you cant have patience with her then yes, give her away to someone that does have patience

·
Registered
35 Posts
When we first got Manny we would take him out every 30min. When he would potty we gave him a treat. We kept a eye on him the whole time he was in the house and if he started to squat we would jump up a yell wanna go out and he would stop. Take him out and treat when he went. Took about a week but we didnt get him until he was 4 months.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Sorry, but patience and taking her out often is what you need to do. She's a baby and can't be expected to be solid on her housebreaking yet. Give her another month or so and she should be much better.

·
Registered
538 Posts
When we were house training Jake it seemed to take FOREVER! It can get very frustrating.

Like other's have said, if you can't watch her while in the house, then she needs to be confined to a smaller area. We crate trained Jake right away and when we couldn't watch him he went in his crate and he never had an accident in there.

It requires consistency, diligence and patience from everyone in the house. Although it may not seem like it now, she will eventually get it.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
If you can't watch her in the house - crate her. Put her on a leash, take her outside, and make sure she goes. Take her back in the house and put her back in the crate. No freedom in the house. No being on carpet.

Two weeks ago, I adopted a 4 month old MB puppy from a high kill shelter in SC. His freedom is limited to the tiled kitchen and his crate. There is a baby gate to keep him in the kitchen. When I am right here, I leave his crate open, so he can go in and out. I take him out frequently. He is doing an awesome job. He never has accidents in his crate and has only had a few on the tile. He will go on carpet, as he doesn't understand the concept of carpet. Don't drive yourself crazy. Limit his space. Watch him. Take him out frequently. Enjoy him. That's what I am doing with mine. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
she is 4 months old, a baby... she has no concept of house breaking yet- yes patience is needed and so is taking her out frequently, along with praising her while she is pottying outside.. if she is having accidents in the house its not her fault. and she shouldnt have free roam at this age.. she is too young for free roam especially since she isnt housebroken. if you cant have patience with her then yes, give her away to someone that does have patience
I couldn't have said it better.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Sounds like she spends a fair amount of time outside. She needs to be in the house, watched like a hawk and taken outside frequently throughout the day for her to get the correlation. Every time you are able to catch her just before she potties, the quicker she'll learn. Don't forget to praise like crazy when she gets it right!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I would go to the vet and get a urine sample tested. UTI or the beginnings of stones could cause this as well as the baby having a small bladder.
Have a glass of wine and relax - This too will pass!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts