German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6 year old male German shepherd is suffering from severe skin problem wherein it is observed that he is losing his fur on his back and he is constantly itching himself. I have tried several forms of good medication under advice of veterinarians and medical practitioners but to avail. He is suffering badly even after our sincere efforts to relieve him from his ailment.

Attachments

·
Registered
762 Posts
Do you know if this is bacterial, fungal, hormonal, allergies, or parasites? The treatment for each is different and there is no point in treating until you have a diagnosis. He sure looks uncomfortable!

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Your dog needs to go to the vet for a skin scrape (they look at the cells under a microscope to diagnose). It's not an expensive procedure (exam plus maybe $20-$30 extra for the test). Then you'll know what kind of problem it is.

Sometimes there are layers of problems -- demodex mites (mange) or a flea allergy plus yeast and/or staph all layered on top of each other. Yeast and staph tend to set up shop wherever the skin is already inflamed and take advantage of the "sick" environment to make things worse. So problems often end up requiring multiple layers of treatment.

If the vet doesn't see an obvious cause in the skin scrape, I would run a thyroid panel on the dog, due to its age. Thyroid disease can sometimes badly mess up the coat and skin. First rule out the obvious causes though -- infections, parasites, allergic reactions.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My son's female Husky was in a similar condition a couple years back. Despite going to several vets and trying lots of

prescription medications it would never really clear up. My son resisted listening to his mother (me) but I kept nagging

him to make a couple changes with his dog.

1) Never let even one flea be on this dog. All it takes is one flea to bite and she starts itching, scratching and flaring.
Seresta flea collar plus monthly pour on treatment stopped the fleas.

2) De-flea the house where dog lives. Must do this to help stop the cycle of fleas breeding. Either bomb or spray whole
house (and car if dog goes in car).

3) Improve the dog's nutrition. Change out what you're feeding. Could be an allergy to the food or something important missing in the food. Sometimes it's both. Many dry dog foods are like JUNK food and vitamin deficient.

4) I started buying vitamin/mineral pills for dogs with an emphasis on coat and skin vitamins. Especially Fish Oil,
which provides Vitamin A and essential Omega's. He started his dog on these regularly.

5) Sometimes it takes a weekly bath w/ Dawn dishwashing detergent to kill off fleas and flush eggs off fur.

6) Now he also examines dog after every outdoor hike to pick off new fleas.

So in short, his dog had a flea allergy and poor nutrition which set her up for terrible flairs. Dog now has a lustrous
flea free coat and still scratches occasionally with new fleas, but they're taken care of immediately. Just my experience.
I convinced my son to start a RAW diet and to use a variety of meats to balance the vitamins/minerals.

·
Registered
32,388 Posts
First, to stop the itching, I would try Cytopoint. That should stop the cycle of digging. Then I would allergy testing done, a skin scrape for mites. Thyroid would make them lose hair but we never experienced itching and the hair loss was in specific spots.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
FLEAS GREAT IDEA !!!

How is his poop....

He looks miserable,

Is he drinking water

Does he want to eat

How long has this been going on.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
WELCOME coolzeye! :greet:

What are you feeding this dog????

What "medications" have your tried????

What was the vets prognosis and how long ago was that???

Did the vet ever do a skin scrape ???

Moms :)

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
go to the VET , get a proper diagnoses.

more than fleas --- don't randomly bombard a dog with toxins when there are indications of a suppressed
immune.

review the dogs ENTIRE nutritonal plane -- the dog looks shabby -- poor condition , under weight,
dull and shedding hair

had to be said to get to the bottom of the problem - the only way to get a solution and help him out

look for mange - which can be concomittent with a depressed immune

check for "walking dandruff" yet another type of mite https://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Cheyletiellosis.aspx

In the meantime give a good shampo with DEFENDEX -- totally safe

you have to be careful what you do put on the skin. The itchy breakes the skin
barrier and makes for easier absorption of "toxins" which the liver then has to
detoxify.

iDIET ?

·
Registered
16,022 Posts
Be ware that mange often does not show up on skin scrapings. I'd be tempted to ask the vet to treat for mange because the turn around can be fast if it is mange.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
One suggestion offered on the other thread is to ask for a NEXGARD prescription to treat the fleas....because it will also treat the demodex mites if there are any. It's a monthly pill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts