German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group,

Both my dogs eat raw foods, but despite this and perhaps due to genetics, my dog Sasha had a bit of tartar on her canine teeth. Thankfully back molars were spotless from the diet, but the canine needed a bit of work.

I purchased the petzlife oral care gel and dutifully applied it every night for one month and didn't see much difference. Perhaps other peoples experiences may vary, but I was left still wanting clean teeth but didn't want to sedate at vets for merely canine teeth and an otherwise *very* healthy mouth.

So I decided to try a dental scaler. The biggest concern I hear with this tool is to be careful about scratching the tooth enamel. I found it very easy to use, affordable ($5) and the package states it is made of soft steel that will not scratch enamel (for what the label is worth). I felt the benefits outweighed the risk and decided to try it.

I got this one from my local grocery store, http://www.dentek.com/shop.php?target=products&product_id=4

Absolutely the best $5 I have spent on the dogs! Here's the result:

right side before:

right side after:

left side before:

left side after:

Now that the teeth are clean I am giving coq10 daily at 100mg to maintain oral health and look forward to seeing if the supplement will maintain the healthy mouth.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I scrape my guys' teeth every so often. Actually, it's good you posted this, they're probably due for a scraping.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
The vet catalogs often have some of these tools in them too -- all metal, about $8. I've been afraid to try it, but Max might let me -- I might try just scraping it on the lower part of the tooth to test to see how he will react. Indy will start getting too squirrely whenever it gets about 3 inches from her mouth -- the smarty pants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts