German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have heard that these are really good! I'm glad to see another person recommends them. Maybe I need to get around to actually buying some.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard that these are really good! I'm glad to see another person recommends them. Maybe I need to get around to actually buying some.
German Shepherd Man recommended them and I got them. He did a video on them. Her breath hasn't smelt in days and they're lookin great!

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
If there is one item I could recommend, it would be these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GU28Z6C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe they were on a sale when I bought the 50lb + ones at 20$ but these are great.

My only concerns are that I cannot find an ingredients list of any kind and the "patented" ingredient that they go on about is a dental rinse and not to be consumed. Although they claim it is safe for dogs, if you do some research there are a fair number of vets that are pretty iffy about it.

The ingredients in most dental chews are junk, but not dangerous. And raw meaty bones work awesome.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there is one item I could recommend, it would be these...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GU28Z6C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe they were on a sale when I bought the 50lb + ones at 20$ but these are great.

My only concerns are that I cannot find an ingredients list of any kind and the "patented" ingredient that they go on about is a dental rinse and not to be consumed. Although they claim it is safe for dogs, if you do some research there are a fair number of vets that are pretty iffy about it.

The ingredients in most dental chews are junk, but not dangerous. And raw meaty bones work awesome.
@Sabis mom, Very good concern! Here's the YouTube channel I learned of these...

https://youtu.be/PtBXFBFnVzg

I left a comment asking for an ingredient list. He is really good about responding fairly quick. I've learned a lot from their videos! The one in this video is named Big Don and he is SO super chill. You should watch the one where they talk about bathing. Big Don is the star in that one too!

I did get these biscuits, which I have stopped thank goodness, that supposedly do something with their urine to not kill grass. After a week of giving them to her I was told and read they are very bad for their kidneys. Like I said, I appreciate your concern of the ingredients in these oravet chews. I'll continue my research in finding an ingredient list.

I'll post it here !

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Full disclosure. For years I gave the dogs pedigree dentastix daily. Sabi was almost 11 before I saw any plaque build up, and then it was minimal and easily removed with a bison knuckle. My vet said the crap in them was worth it for the beautiful teeth.

Shadow gets milkbone dental chews and has pretty, sparkly teeth. It's tough for me to give her raw bones when she is sensitive to so many things. Turkey necks are a bonus but my nice bison knuckles are tough to get now, and expensive for the unemployed loser here. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I buy the occasional bison knuckle bone too (yes they are expensive) for my dogs, and several times a week they get Petzlife Salmon Oral Gel on their teeth. Carlys teeth were starting to look like yellowing old dog teeth, but they’ve improved greatly since I starting using the gel.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for the good info in this thread. I don't know what to give Xena and with our poop issues right now I'm afraid to try anything new. I was giving her the 4health dental chew bone from Tractor Supply but maybe I'll try the Pedigree sticks since Sabis mom recommends them.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Thanks for the good info in this thread. I don't know what to give Xena and with our poop issues right now I'm afraid to try anything new. I was giving her the 4health dental chew bone from Tractor Supply but maybe I'll try the Pedigree sticks since Sabis mom recommends them.
I stopped feeding them because of the companies non response to bha/bht issue!
I use the milkbone dental bones for Shadow.
To be clear I feed nothing Pedigree makes any longer. Carcinogenic stuff in all of their products. Settled a class action suit in the US. Non disclosures to all parties.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I brushed my previous dog's teeth...maybe about a total of 5-10 times his whole life. However he gnawed on deer/elk antlers after dinner daily for most of his life. My vet said that his teeth were some of the cleanest he's ever seen. The only thing is that his teeth were a little worn down from all those antlers towards the end of his life. I've probably spent somewhere around 1000 dollars to 2000 on antlers.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I give bison knuckles part frozen. When I can get them I let Shadow chew on them for about half an hour then take it away and toss it back in the freezer. One knuckle lasts her forever. Bud could go through a whole one in not long, but that's why I called him the destroyer.

Do watch the teeth for wear.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I stopped feeding them because of the companies non response to bha/bht issue!
I use the milkbone dental bones for Shadow.
To be clear I feed nothing Pedigree makes any longer. Carcinogenic stuff in all of their products. Settled a class action suit in the US. Non disclosures to all parties.
Sorry I misread. Color me embarrassed, Long day. I will try the Milkbone dental for Xena puppy.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
I buy the occasional bison knuckle bone too (yes they are expensive) for my dogs, and several times a week they get Petzlife Salmon Oral Gel on their teeth. Carlys teeth were starting to look like yellowing old dog teeth, but they’ve improved greatly since I starting using the gel.
Im going to order this toothpaste you mentioned for our chihuahua. He enjoys the whimzeez and my daughter brushes his teeth every morning without fail- without much improvement so hoping this helps.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
A raw turkey neck a few times a week works well and it doesn't have ingredients that you cannot pronounce or recognize.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Im going to order this toothpaste you mentioned for our chihuahua. He enjoys the whimzeez and my daughter brushes his teeth every morning without fail- without much improvement so hoping this helps.

It was/is popular with the Italian Greyhound people. It’s minty and salmon-y. I get the gel in a pump bottle. Carly is a power chewer and I have to watch her or she’d wear her teeth down to the nub!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A raw turkey neck a few times a week works well and it doesn't have ingredients that you cannot pronounce or recognize.
Ooh nice. I can find me some of these!

And thanks for the goat horn recommendation...forgot who mentioned that, but they sell horns at the tractor trailer store. Not 100% sure if they are goat horns though.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Lamb horns are great. Stinky, but my dogs love them. And not as hard as antlers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts