German Shepherds Forum banner

Did you find this posting about denervation helpful?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD, Igor, woke up another day like the hunchback of Notre Dame, with his back high and curved. It was a very scary sigthing and it last for almost 30 min. I laid him down, gave him a massage on his back and hips along with 1 tablet of Rymadil 100mg. He stood up and started to walk as usual.

His eyes has been red, which I have been giving him an eye medication, and he chews his paws like crazy. He has been on a special diet with extra glucosamine and chondroitin by Royal Canin due to his hip displasia. I also give him one Cod Oil Liver capsule a day but just during the winter time as in the summer, his stool becomes very soft.

I heard about a denervation procedure, which removes the nerves from both hips, the culprit of all pain. It is a lot less invasive procedure than the regular HD operation with over 90% success rate.

Does anybody know anything about denervation? Do you know anyone who has done it and what the result was? Do you know a vet who does that procedure close to Charlotte, NC? Thanks for any input you can provide about this.

Here are two articles about denervation:

[10 years experience with denervation of the hip j... [Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr. 2002 Jan-Feb] - PubMed result

http://wheatridgeanimal.com/pdfs/ClientInfoSheets/Hips-Denervation-WRVSfinal.pdf

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
With everything else, it sounds like he's got some bad allergies.... are you addressing that? Alot of time it's the food (grain?). You may find another mix (fish/potato?) may help with his eyes and feet chewing. Then you can give a better dose of the glucosamine and Chondroitin in pills or another supplement (I use Nupro mixed with food but you may need a higher dosage).

How old is your dog?

http://www.tveh.ca/Files%5CNews%5CTVEHDenervation.pdf is another article to read.

:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your posting. Igor is almost 9 years old (Feb 11).

I never thought about allergies being th culprit of his red eyes and chewing but I will talk to my vet about that posibility.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts