German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pointed out a couple of small spots on my 17 week old puppy's legs where the hair appeared thin to my vet who diagnosed it as demotex. It was confirmed with scrapings. He prescribed a couple weeks treatment with ivermectrin, starting @.2cc working up to .6cc/day. Has anyone else used this treatment approach. The vet also mentioned dipping but decided on the ivermectrin route.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Yes, we used that treatmet approach for about 4 months and it did fine. We had no problems whatsoever and cleared it right up.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I would NOT use Ivermectin. It is really dangerous stuff. Feed your puppy high quality food, spray the mange spots with cider vinegar and Neem "Protect" Spray by Ark Naturals (and they have shampoo too) and you might also consider boosting the immune system.

My 2 yo dog is on his second bout of demodectic mange. I did the above and it's clearing up well. I haven't used any chemicals. In a puppy the mange should clear up on it's own provided he is getting proper nutrition, etc.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Follow your Vets course of treatment. Ivermectin is not dangerous treatment. best know treatment for this type of mange. My Vet clinic always goes that route.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Originally Posted By: ntyndall Follow your Vets course of treatment. Ivermectin is not dangerous treatment. best know treatment for this type of mange. My Vet clinic always goes that route.
I am in the middle of nowhere using dial-up right now but I did a ton of research on demodectic mange and consulted with several different vets. In a young puppy/dog mange normally resolves on its own without using treatments like Ivermectin.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow...
I am in the middle of nowhere using dial-up right now but I did a ton of research on demodectic mange and consulted with several different vets. In a young puppy/dog mange normally resolves on its own without using treatments like Ivermectin.
Also keep in mind that Ivermectin is toxic, and can prove fatal, to dogs and puppies that have the mutant MDR1 gene.
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Chase had mange on his forehead at about 5 months old. I didn't do a thing to it and it cleared up within a week or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts