German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 18 month old black gsd has a small area on her knee that was recently diagnosed as demodectic mange. I actually got to see the little bugger under a microscope, yuk. She also had a pencil eraser spot on her jaw, which since her vet visit. a week ago has healed. I need to know if this would be considered localized and juvenile onset, which is my deduction from the info I have found so far. My vet advised to get her spayed due to this condition being passed from dam to pup. Is it an immune deficiency? If so, what can be done to strengthen it. I have also found info that states stress may be the reason for the deficiency or possibly diet. I have not started her on the systemic med yet and not one more hair has been lost on her knee or any new spots. How long should I wait for her immune system to repair this spot? Will the hair ever grow back? Please help me decipher the info on the web. :confused: I will appreciate any help and all input.

·
2,967 Posts
It would be what I would consider localized and more commonly called "puppy mange". A healthy immune system will correct it and most times these small spots of mange need no treatment at all to resolve.

Demodectic Mange itself is not passed from the Dam to the Pups. Dogs carry those mites on them ALL the time. Mange itself is not genetic. It can seem that way if the lines carry immune problems because mange can be sort of a secondary symptom. I think this is more of a concern if we are talking about severe generalized mange.

This is a good article.
Demodectic Mange & The Immature Immune System

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks JKlatsky and Rerun for your quick replies. The link you gave had a definite impact on my decision to give her own body a chance to heal itself. I have decent knowledge of health in humans and try to stay away from systemic treatments. I will give it a few more weeks to heal and get some hair growth back.

·
2,967 Posts
When Args was a pup and had a spot of mange around his mouth, all I did was give him some Vitamin C to support his immune system and it cleared up in a few weeks.

As long as you don't see any significant increase in the hair loss, I really wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Uschi had it when she was a pup- on her ankle. It became quite a large area so the vet had her on an oral med- a liquid generic heartworm preventive for large animals, ivermectin- and it cleared up, the hair came back.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Shasta is just healing up from a few little spots of mange. We used Goodwinol ointment, but I think that was more of a placebo for Mom and Dad than it was helpful in getting rid of the mange. We started giving Vitamin C, fish oil and Vitamin E and will probably just continue those forever.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I think Jake has a small spot by his right eye...I am waiting it out and doing Vit C and salmon oil. I don't want to treat him systemically either if I can help it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts