German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a demo from one of the local trainers here, and he stated that besides consistent training, ALL demo dogs you see are never allowed on the furniture ,which is why they are so sharp. His dog was certainly sharp and really enjoyed working,but I can't really say that I agree with him. His point was that dogs who are allowed on the furniture will never listen as well as his. When I was leaving I know that several people were so impressed by his dog that they hired him for their dogs. One of the ladies had two Belgian Malinois,and mentioned that she feeds her dogs canned food twice per week. The trainer immediately recommended that she stop, because that's another 'indulgence' that will affect how sharp her dogs are,if she wants them to be as good as his:rolleyes:. This guy was nice in his own way and had a great dog,but I doubt that he has met every other dog used in a demonstration.

For those of you who have working dogs, do you find that having them get up on the furniture,effects how sharp they work for you?

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
No. :)

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Nope. My working dogs are currently draped all over me and my couch. Does not affect their work at all. They also sleep in my bed.

The lab in the pics us my working USAR dog. She does not just sit in the couch, she literally lays on top of me. Got her CE at 2. Still sharp as ever.

ImageUploadedByPG Free1363482725.887573.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,693 Posts
Those are, um, interesting ideas. :)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
...I think I would have left laughing. My RIP girl was always and forever draped on me, it didn't make her any less sharp. Are his dogs kenneled outside too, to give them more drive? :mad:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hm I was told by a trainer once that my horse should never be allowed outside in a paddock and should be in a box stall 24/7 so he totally relies in me and will not think for himself :(
What a miserable life his horses must have had.

This sounds similar, letting your dog on the couch or giving it canned food isn't spoiling it :/

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My friends working dog working (schH)).

What happens when I come over to visit.

My working dog working (schH).

What happens every single night at my house (and yes, she is snuggled in good between myself and my best friend while we watched a movie).

Genetics make a good working dog coupled with training... Not the fact they are allowed up or down on the furniture or draped over you while they nap.

At the moment I am in a twin bed, with my 2 GSD's .. Zefra is curled up on my pillows (yes, you read that right) and Stark is draped over my feet.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know,but his whole idea is that any dog who is allowed on the furniture will not listen as well as his dogs. I certainly don't agree,but thought I would ask those up here who have more experience with working their dogs than I do. Great pictures of everyone's dogs btw.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I think the theory is that dogs that get joy and play outside of work, will not work as hard. Because if they know they gets toys anyway, and have lots of fun with you when not working, then why work.

That why working toys are working toys. They should be put away when not working and be the dogs favorites.

But my dogs have a plethora of kongs and chews and other stuff in a toy box. I will say, the one thing I don't allow is the dog to dictate when I engage. I don't let them drop a toy on my lap and get rewarded by my interaction. Does not mean they don't try. But the play and interaction with me is better than a boring dead toy. Playing with me or a victim is the ACTUAL reward when working. Not the toy. The toy is the means for the play.

Being on the couch and furniture is a priveledge I give my dogs. But they understand that if I tell the "off" they better get off quick.

·
Registered
11,305 Posts
Baloney, that trainer sounds too full of himself. He should take the student's dogs as demos so their owners can see how capable their dogs are instead of bragging about his own "furry robots".

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
I thought the canned food thing was even dumber than the furniture thing.

Hans has his own place lounge and not on our furniture, but I don't think those who allow it ruin the dog for work.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Correlation is not causation. Yes, some people will let their dogs treat them like doormats, never lay any ground rules, and/or be very inconsistent with rewards or discipline.

My dogs are allowed on furniture and are "indulged" with treats, raw food, and table scraps but everything they receive outside of a crate, water, basic kibble, and access to the yard to potty is *because* they have already *earned* it and proven themselves to be reliable having such freedom and respectful of my house and my commands.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I could have certainly trained my working line dogs to not get on furniture if it were to be problem. Since dogs are always a part of our life we went with leather as it does well with all the wear they get.
The other plus is that all my dogs have learned what the rules are. Like if I tell them to get off, they do. I dare say that the bond of having them curl up to myself or my wife is more beneficial. I can tell you also it has had zero effect on their personality, much less their ability to want to do bitework on the training field. As it is the Temperament of the dog that effects behavior, not an occaisional nap on a couch or some people food.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts